[SOLVED] 3d mark - time spy and i7 11700k voltage spikes

vladakv

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2016
After finished test I saw voltage spikes 1.51V on Vcore from hwInfo and max temp was 75C.
I run Cinebench R23, Intel Burn Test, OCCT, other programs, games and it never exceed 1.32V spike.

Anyone else has the same/similar voltage spikes on 3d mark?

My specs:

I7 11700k
2x8Hb Kingston Fury 3600MHz
Z590 Torpedo
RTX 3070 Ti Asus Tuf Gaming Oc
Cooler Master V850 Gold 850W

Solution
AVX is highly cpu intensive workout. AVX is like running the cpu at 120%, AVX2 is like 130% ND AVX-512 is closer to 150% and to do that and remain stable a cpu will make higher demands than normal from the VRM's, if running at normal boosted speeds. So the purpose of the AVX offset is to drop normal speeds by 2(00MHz) or 3(00MHz) etc so the cpu's voltage demands also go down. Which helps regulate wattage demands, output in the way of heat.

LLC is a calibration voltage applied across the board, so when the cpu hits idle periods (that's the usage number from 100, or 70% usage means 30% idle) the next actual use demand doesn't overpower vdroop and you crash. But that voltage is also applied on top of vcore, so if vcore was 1.4v and you...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
AVX is highly cpu intensive workout. AVX is like running the cpu at 120%, AVX2 is like 130% ND AVX-512 is closer to 150% and to do that and remain stable a cpu will make higher demands than normal from the VRM's, if running at normal boosted speeds. So the purpose of the AVX offset is to drop normal speeds by 2(00MHz) or 3(00MHz) etc so the cpu's voltage demands also go down. Which helps regulate wattage demands, output in the way of heat.

LLC is a calibration voltage applied across the board, so when the cpu hits idle periods (that's the usage number from 100, or 70% usage means 30% idle) the next actual use demand doesn't overpower vdroop and you crash. But that voltage is also applied on top of vcore, so if vcore was 1.4v and you have a 0.1v added LLC, you'll see cpu voltages at 1.5v when at peak. This is why Auto gets ppl in trouble, because the cpu decides what LLC to add, and combined with the 0.08v offset puts you closer to 1.58v cpu voltage.

Careful of mixing offset voltages (that's applied to VID, amount of voltage demanded by the cpu from VRM's) with vcore (voltage actually used by the cpu) as they are different.

Last edited:
Reactions: vladakv
Solution

vladakv

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2016

LLC is a calibration voltage applied across the board, so when the cpu hits idle periods (that's the usage number from 100, or 70% usage means 30% idle) the next actual use demand doesn't overpower vdroop and you crash. But that voltage is also applied on top of vcore, so if vcore was 1.4v and you have a 0.1v added LLC, you'll see cpu voltages at 1.5v when at peak. This is why Auto gets ppl in trouble, because the cpu decides what LLC to add, and combined with the 0.08v offset puts you closer to 1.58v cpu voltage.

Careful of mixing offset voltages (that's applied to VID, amount of voltage demanded by the cpu from VRM's) with vcore (voltage actually used by the cpu) as they are different.
Yes. I switched off an avx and got max 1.3V on benchmarks. I turned on again and set to auto. On gaming, office and home using max is 1.32V.
I guess I have to switch off avx when benchmarking. Right?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Exactly, or use the AVX offset, which drops the cpu clocks. Generally most use an offset of 2, which equates to 200MHz. For non-AVX apps, the cpu ignores the offset. It only gets applied when the cpu discovers AVX instructions.

Since most games contain no AVX at all, and only a few use a minor amount for vector instructions, most overclocks keep the AVX offset at 0, because running occt, Aida64, Prime95 etc do use AVX in one form or another and the offset messes with cpu voltages when clocks are dropped, possibly making a static OC unstable.