3D Modeling and Rendering Workstation

DaveL35

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012
Hi all,

I am looking to build a 3D modeling and rendering workstation primarily for solidworks, modo and the Adobe CS.

I would like to purchase either today or early tomorrow.

The parts I have in my cart so far are:

Motherboard:
ASUS P8Z77-V PRO

Processor:
Intel I69-3770K

Memory:
Corsair Vengeance CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10B 16GB

Graphics Card:
PNY VCQ2000-PB Quadro 2000

PSU:
Corsair CMPSU-750TXV2 Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 Power Supply - 750 Watts

Case:
Corsair CC600TWM-WHT Graphite Series 600T Mid-Tower Case

Then using a 120GB SSD for the OS and 2TB hard drive for the main storage.

I will be adding a second SSD as a scratch drive in the future and stepping up to 32GB RAM.

Using Windows 7 Professional

I am interested in your thoughts on compatibility and end results.

Thanks!

Dave

for adobe CS, a gtx 600 series card is better but if you are rendering graphics, a quadro might be better.

are your programs mainly raw compute power based or are they mainly threaded based?

included a 660ti instead of a quadro card.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tO4v

-if you are not to overclock, you can get a xeon e3 1230v2 instead and you can save 100 dollars. the e3 1230v2 is basically a i7 3770 without graphics at the price of a i5
-if you are not overclocking, take out the hyper 212 evo
-instead of a seperate scratch disk, you can use amd ramdisk software to setup a ram disk. its much faster than a ssd or ssds in raid 0. just that you will lose your data once you power the system off
-there is no reason to get the z77-vpro unless you can actually use all the ports
- i have a cheaper case that is VERY well built
-no reason to go 750w when you only have one card in the rig

DaveL35

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012

Thanks for your input. I will be looking to overclock as I regularly work on large component assemblies and I need all the processing power I can get.

I started researching the 660ti to start with but I was looking at Solidworks and their system requirements and they suggested a Quadro as I don't need the refresh rates of the gaming style graphics cards. I will look to expand in the future and add more cards to the set up. Is there an equivalent Asus board you would recommend? I have just heard good things about them?.

Thanks! Dave

well the thing is that CS6 would be faster using a 660ti, but as you said, solidworks might like a quadro card better

there are equivalen asus boards but the extreme4 offers a lot more for that price range. such as a 8 phase power design vs 4 (irrelevant if not going above 4.5ghz, which is the general limit), esata,and more sata ports

http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=71114&vpn=P8Z77-V%20LK&manufacture=ASUS&promoid=1285