3D performance in notebooks

G

I am thinking about buying a notebook, but i would like to beable to use it as a replacement for my desktop. That includes playing games online from time to time. Now i know that notebooks suck at this part, the reason: power consumption. Well, what about the speedstep cpu that runs on a higher voltage when the notebook is connected to AC. Why cant the same thing be done with vga cards. Run them on litle power when on battery, but get some serius performace when on AC. I would like to beable to take my computer with me to work and to a friends house, but i think i would mainly be using it where i could plug it in.

Any comments?

Einar.

G

Hey dood. I have an Asus 8400 with 700 P-III, 128 megs PC100 RAM and S3 graphics. I do use it to play CS and Quake III and it is desent at about 800x600, no more. The big problem is with the little keyboard and the kinda crappy display. I get on average about 30-50 frames.

It is great for the road, but shitty compared to my Geforce 2 and Athlon Thunderbird.

stonerboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Just look for a notebook that uses the geforce2 Go chipset with 32 MB of memory. You will get great 3D performance from your games.

G

s3 savage mobile is a good chip to look at. P3 700, 128mb, 8mb mobile savage. Could give you some great frame in lower res. 640x480 or 800x600.

Chruch is not a crutch for the weak.