News 3D-Printed Bare-Die Liquid Coolers Smash Chip Power Barriers, up to 3.5X Improvement

D

Deleted member 2838871

Brilliant idea as long as you aren't the guy that cracks the die on his processor... already seen that a couple times in recent videos.

If I ran a 13900k I'd probably consider it... :ROFLMAO:

InvalidError

Titan
One slight pump hiccup and your 600W CPU/GPU die goes pop!

You are going to need a flow detection switch or metering device wired directly into the VRM to instantaneously drop the power limit to something like 10W or force the CPU into sleep mode when flow is below threshold.

truerock

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
This is somewhat like how the human brain cools itself.

I think this would work best of Intel or AMD designed their CPUs to specifically support this type of cooling approach.

So, yes... Intel would need to stop designing their CPUs for notebook PCs and start designing some CPUs specifically for desktop PCs with direct liquid cooling.

Also, almost all current cooling solutions cool only one side of the CPU. A good liquid solution would immerse all sides of the CPU in liquid.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2023
In the long run it will not be suitabel to need to delide a CPU and to add a cooling solution, that voikd waranty and with own risk of leaking between CPU and Waterblock.
Interesting in the future will be, if the CPU-vedors start to produce and sell CPUs with integrated bare-die-liquid cooling blocks in one package, that offer standardized connectors for tubes - to whatever cooling system is used in conjunction.

Amdlova

Distinguished
I'm not sure about water cooled servers. Try to find a plumber with "knowledge with server grade hardware" to fix some leaks.
At these level the pumps will be insane high not a 20w pump :)

If I ran a 13900k I'd probably consider it... :ROFLMAO:
Yup, 7.3-7.5 Ghz on a liquid cooled ~530W 13900k ,everybody and their grandmas would build that.
2872182.jpg

D

Deleted member 2838871

As long as you are not forced to run your PC at 100% load 24/7 because you need it as a render box or for business...
Turbo modes will have it run at very low watt when idle and and not doing anything heavy and it will only boost that high when you really want it.

Well I hope it works out well for people and not like the 3 guys I've already seen on YouTube cracking the die on their processor from presumably too much pressure when securing the cooler.

InvalidError

Titan
Well I hope it works out well for people and not like the 3 guys I've already seen on YouTube cracking the die on their processor from presumably too much pressure when securing the cooler.
This version of "direct die" doesn't make mechanical contact with the CPU dies though, it aims coolant jets directly at the silicon.

With no IHS or cold plate to act as a buffer in case of pump malfunction or air bubbles in coolant, I doubt we'll see this stuff in the consumer mainstream. It may even be too maintenance-intensive and fault-sensitive for datacenter use.

TRENDING THREADS