News 3D Printer Uses Magnets To Break Speed Limits, Print at a Table-Shaking 800 mm/s

Status
Not open for further replies.

virtual_axolotl

Honorable
Apr 10, 2018
This is not as innovative as it might seem. Stratasys has already done this. As a matter of fact they did this and then switched back to servo motors because the increased costs of magnetic drives did not have a justified increase in performance.

We can almost certainly make faster linear systems then CoreXY. Doing it while maintaining desirable print qualities is another thing. The greatest limitations here are not with mechanical systems, they are with the material itself.

jp7189

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2012
We can almost certainly make faster linear systems then CoreXY. Doing it while maintaining desirable print qualities is another thing. The greatest limitations here are not with mechanical systems, they are with the material itself.
I don't disagree with you, but I recall working with ABS 10 years ago and it was "common" knowledge that it could be printed only so fast before quality suffered. Today my printer slings ABS way faster than I ever dreamed back then and with better quality too.

You could argue that motion compensation is more about electronics, sensors, and processing power than mere motors and rails, but I would still put all that under the "mechanical" umbrella.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS