3D Prophet 2 MX Vs GeForce 2 MX

KAOS

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2001
Can i get some opinions?
What do you guys think of the 3D Prophet 2 MX and the GeForce 2 MX?
I just wanted to know the specs of each, which were strong in what areas, and how they compare against each other.
You see, i've got this limited budget, and i'm thinking of upgrading video cards, but i don't know which to pick
Can anyone out there help me?

"In a world of order, Kaos rules"

jay

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2001
I would wait until the two new versions of the GeForce II MX come out in about a month. That should bring down the price of the current vidcards. I just posted a story about it on my webpage.

---{<a href="http://www.pctalk.org">PCTalk.org</a>:For PC Entusiasts}---

KAOS

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2001
Thanks!
I didn't know there were extra versions coming out
You might just have saved me a decent amount of money
I'd still like to know how the Prophet 2 MX holds out against the GeForce 2 MX though

Gog

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
Isn't the prophet 2 MX just a branded geforce 2 MX card? if so you're not going to see a massive amount of difference.

As said though it's worth waiting for the new MX chips and to see how much price drops after the GeForce 3 has been on the shelves for a little while

Hmmmm... Donuts

mpjesse

Splendid
Go to www.theregister.co.uk and read up on the new GF2 MX's... they're doing a MX 200 and MX 400 variant. Basically, the new one will support 128bit DDR SDRAM.... So you'll basically get a GF2 GTS for 30 percent cheaper.

-MP Jesse

G

Didn't they say the 400 version has 128bit SDR SDRAM i/f, just like the original MX.

I have Hercules/Guillemot 3D Prophet 2 MX and apart from higher clocked RAM (183 MHz vs. 166 MHz of nVidia reference board) it is a plain vanilla MX. I get about 3100 on 3Dmark2000. Mine is paired with Celeron 400 @ 450 MHz (crap o/clocker, even raised voltage to 2.2 V) on ASUS P2 and 256 MB or RAM.

Sami

mpjesse

Splendid
Yeah- i read that they said the original GF2 MX supports 128bit DDR SDRAM. I don't know though... if it already supports it then why go through the process of a whole new naming system? The only DDR version of the original GF2 MX I ever saw was the Creative one- and it had a 64bit memory interface. It might be a mistake.

-MP Jesse

"Idle time is the devil's time. Intel better start working!"

G

I looked into the DDR/SDR gf2 mx thing a couple months ago when I was planning a video card upgrade. As jesse said, I think the only DDR geforce2 mx available is the CL one. Even then, it is only 64 bits wide, essentially negating any performance gains with DDR memory.

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
The Prophet II MX and the Geforce2 MX are the same thing, silly. the Prophet II MX is just the name of the card built by Hercules. It's a GeForce2 MX. it's like saying "what is better, the new Ford V8 engine or the Ford F-150 truck?"

-----------------
"648kb is all the space anyone would ever need!"

Bill Gates, 1980s

KAOS

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2001
yeah
i know they use the same chipset
but i was asking if the different boards made much of a difference, if any