3D Prophet 4500

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Well yes and no, does it beat it in 3dMark2001? NO. Does it beat it in high quality anisotropic filtering performance - NO. Does it beat it in high resolution 2d performance, NO. Yes the Radeon does get beat in some things, FSAA yeap, QuakeIII yeap unless you use anisotropic filtering (quality setting) then the Radeon mops the floor with the Kyro2, FSAA Kyro2 mops the floor with the Radeon. Vidio/DVD Radeon. Buyer beware, FPS is not the only criteria, if the frame rate is fast enough for good game play then 3d quality becomes the importance. Is there a clear winner, yes, a inform buyer who knows the strengths and weaknesses of each card and chooses wisely. It maybe a Kyro2 or a Radeon, everybody needs and desires are different. For me a Kyro2 would not be a good choice for my main gaming machine for you it is.

Makaveli

Splendid
very well said Noko FPS is not everything. For me Ati card is best choice since I live 15 mins from Toronto. Someone recently told me Ati has a place in toronto that will take your old video and replace it with a new one for the price difference. This I plan on doing when the Radeon 2 comes out!

G

OK, here is what I think, Radeon is better than GF2MX but less overclockablier, with MX you can go as high as 250/250 with 5.5ns and as high as 250/300 with 3.5ns and that leaves Radeon behind with performance, but Radeon's graphics is way much better than GF2MX's, I went for the speed.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Good for you, let us know how it works out. How much did you pay for your mx that overclocks to 250/300? Remember the Radeon LE is using DDR ram so if you overclock it to 183mhz it is 366 DDR speed still faster then the MX, plus the Radeon has HyperZ makeing that even more effective. That would be interesting comparing the two both overclock in 32bit gaming. My MX400 doesn't have a chance against my Radeon 64 in speed nor quality in games but then it is not overclocked to 250/300 neither.

G

how about 89fps score in Q3A? impresive? everything was high quelsity settings 1024x768@32

G

3dmark 2k1 is not a game
;)
thank god !!!
and with a high end cpu kyro can beat radeon, yes it can even in 3dmark2k1...

fps is not everything !!
yap you are right...
when I play at 4xFSAA 1024x768 with my kyro there is no way back !!!
;)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by powervr2 on 07/05/01 03:33 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
It does measure performance for DX8, MaxPayne is a game that will be coming out that uses the same game engine as for testing in 3dMark2001. I get frustrated when someone just points out one or two benchmarks/games that their favorite card does well and then conclude it is a better card. The MX400 is a much better card in 3dsMax then the Radeon 64 SE overclocked to the max, the Radeon is much better then the Kyro2 in 3dsMax. Just because the Kyro2 performs well in QuakeIII doesn't necessarily make it perform well in everything else and it doesn't. Like in Counter Strike and Giants. FSAA of the Kyro2 is outstanding and for alot of games it would make them really look good. The Video/DVD and 2d on the Radeon is outstanding and very worthy of being bought. The most well rounded card is really the Radeon. Great 2d/3d and video/DVD. Just like any other card it can do some things better then anyone else while in other things it is not the best.

TRENDING THREADS