3D Prophet II MX 32MB PCI

trusnoop

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2001
I have been doing some research on PCI cards.

Is 3D Prophet II MX 32MB PCI the fastest PCI card?

cause it has 183Mhz clock, which the hightst I have seen for a PCI card.

so, is it a good card if u have only PCI?

FiberTech

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2001
The GF2 MX is probably the fastest PCI card around right now. However, you are going to be limited because the PCI bus can't talk to the system as fast as AGP bus. I believe that the PCI bus is limited to 66 MHz, while the AGP bus can run as fast as your systems front end. Depending on your system configuration that could be a major performance hit.

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well the RADEON 32mb SDR PCI is the fast PCI card. Geforce2 MX cards have some problems with PCI. Radeon works just fine in my friends Cel 700 (i810) system runs fast and Drivers are rock solid.

Northwood P4 + i845(brookdale)+ 200mhz DDR-SDRAM + ATi Radeon 2 = Dream Team :cool:

lamer_gamer

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
I can relate. I, too, have only a PCI bus to work with. I had planned to change out my mobo for one with an AGP bus, but now that I know I can get a pretty good PCI card... ahhhhhh! I can't make up my mind! BTW, I currently own a Voodoo 3 3000 PCI 16MB, will the 3D Prophet 2 perform better? Will it run fairly intense games @ 50+ FPS? My Voodoo 3 chokes on games like "Undying" (avg 19 fps!) even with all the video settings set as low as possible.

trusnoop

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2001
don't get the 3D Prophet II MX or any geforce MX.
I've done some research on the internet and found that the ATI 32MB Radeon beats the geforce MX in higher resolutions in 32 bit. Which is good.

OH yeah i learned that dont judge the performance of a video card just by its clock speed. Like in this case the radeon is clocked at 160 or 166 whereas the Prophet MX is at 175MHz. But the radeon still beats the Prophet.

So im going to buy the ATI radeon next week. It is $150 canadian after Mail in rebate, and 3D prophet is $230 canadion.

the rest is up to u. Just do some research on the benchmarks on these two cards if u like. I'm definately goin to buy the radeon.

later.

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Good choice of buying the Radeon trusnoop. You did your resreach the right way i see. Well the radeon is cheaper and better.

Northwood P4 + i845(brookdale)+ 200mhz DDR-SDRAM + ATi Radeon 2 = Dream Team :cool:

G

I've heard people say that if you do buy a GeForce 2 (any type) which has a PCI connector, you should disable T&L because it requires the higher bandwidth of AGP. PCI cards tend to be slower, but apparently the Voodoo 5 PCI (can you still get these? - probably somewhere) only drops a few frames in Quake III over its AGP counterpart. I wouldn't recommend the Voodoo 5 to anyone though :)

For those of you who are wondering, PCI is limited to 33MHz, whatever your frontside bus speed. AGP (all versions) work at 66MHz. The 2x and 4x refer to the width of the data chunks passed along the bus (I believe).

~ The First Formally Rehabilitated AMD Lemming ~

G

Well, that's not true! My friend has a much better processor with ATI Radeon 32Mb AGP (4x) and I get more frames(4 more frames) at 1024x768@32! I set mine from 175/166 to 160/166 and still got more frames! My GeForce2 is CardExpert's Twin View Golden Sample whick is the BEST from ALL MX cards(except those new GeForce2 MX 400)! :)

Latest posts