3D tv = 3D games ?

Sebastian Caro

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
Hello anyone with a 3d tv can tell me or if anyone know
the 2D to 3D conversor of some TVs works good for pc games
or can full explain me what happen when i do that ty :)

i just want know if is good buy a 3d tv for some games or if is just a waste of money

Solution
If you connect your graphics card to a 3D TV you will not get the option to enable stereoscopic 3D. It is not supported by the TV.
I have tried 2D to 3D conversion of movies and it looks terrible.
A 3D TV is only good for movies, and only then if you have BluRay player that supports 3D and the movie you are watching is a 3D version.
Other than that, it is just a gimmick that they throw in with most TVs now.
If you connect your graphics card to a 3D TV you will not get the option to enable stereoscopic 3D. It is not supported by the TV.
I have tried 2D to 3D conversion of movies and it looks terrible.
A 3D TV is only good for movies, and only then if you have BluRay player that supports 3D and the movie you are watching is a 3D version.
Other than that, it is just a gimmick that they throw in with most TVs now.

Solution

Dan Dread

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2014
You guys are spreading misinformation, of course you can use stereoscopic 3D on video games. There are a number of 3D titles on the PC. You either get an Nvidia card or you get 3DTV Play separately.

The problem is the quality of the conversion. While Nvidia 3DTV play can make it work, it often limits you to either 720p or 24/30hz. So you end up with upscaling quality degradation, but it can work. There are some TV's which use their own built in right/left compression method for 3D which can also work.

With Nvidia 3DTV Play, support is word of mouth. Some TV's work, some don't. You can download the free trial to see if you have a good one or not.

None of this is misinformation, you obviously don't understand the technology.
Both Nvidia and AMD offer stereoscopic 3D support but require proprietary support for this in the monitor.
No 3D TV offers this support.
3D TVs instead support 3D content from a 3D Blu-ray player.
Using 2D to 3D conversion in hardware or software is never going to be anywhere near as good. My experience of this has been 2D to 3D conversion of TV and movies supported by a 3D TV but I don't expect 3DTV Play to be much better.

What you don't understand is that "Nvidia 3DTV Play" is a special set of software, made by Nvidia, that gives support for many if not most 3D TV's, but it is important that you research so you get an HDTV that works with it.

You may also find many 3D TV's support HD3D as well. The problem with either is HDMI limits you to 720@60hz in 3D, so there is upscaling involved.