Question 3dMark TimeSpy - Gigabyte 3090 GAMING OC 24G - 50% performance drop

Aug 4, 2021
Hi all,

-specs:
CPU: 2 x Intel Xeon E5-2697 V3, 14 cores
Motherboard: ASUS Z10PE-D16 WS, latest bios only, original firmware
RAM: Kingston KVR21R15D8 DDR4 2133MHz, 128 GB total in 4 sticks
PSU: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 1500 watts
GPU: Gigabyte 3090 GAMING OC 24G, original bios, however, the latest bios supports resize bar
SSD: 223GB Kingston SHPM2280P2H/240G (PCIe), latest firmware
Audio: Realtek High Definition Audio

-problem:
3dMark TimeSpy Graphics score 9972, it should have been double. The maximum load achieved is a bit over 60%
3dMark TimeSpy CPU score 8006

TjUMfc8.png

f7xhtiI.png

This translates to lower than expected fps in games as well.

Things I tried:
Changing power plan and performance profiles, or even the resolution from 1440p to 1080p does not change much.
OS and drivers fully updated.
I am connecting the GPU to PCIE 16x @ x16
The GPU is fed by 2 completely different cables with (6+2) pins. I am using 2 separate cables plugged into 2 separate PCIE B ports in the PSU. Each cable is 12 pins splitting into 2 x (6+2) pins.
Bios is at default settings, I can see it is boosting the CPU from 2.6GHz to 3GHz+
Thermals are all nice and cool.

-question:
Is there a hardware bottleneck or am I missing something obvious? I wasn't expecting a 50% performance drop.

Hi all,

-specs:
CPU: 2 x Intel Xeon E5-2697 V3, 14 cores
Motherboard: ASUS Z10PE-D16 WS, latest bios only, original firmware
RAM: Kingston KVR21R15D8 DDR4 2133MHz, 128 GB total in 4 sticks
PSU: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 1500 watts
GPU: Gigabyte 3090 GAMING OC 24G, original bios, however, the latest bios supports resize bar
SSD: 223GB Kingston SHPM2280P2H/240G (PCIe), latest firmware
Audio: Realtek High Definition Audio

-problem:
3dMark TimeSpy Graphics score 9972, it should have been double. The maximum load achieved is a bit over 60%
3dMark TimeSpy CPU score 8006

TjUMfc8.png

f7xhtiI.png

This translates to lower than expected fps in games as well.

Things I tried:
Changing power plan and performance profiles, or even the resolution from 1440p to 1080p does not change much.
OS and drivers fully updated.
I am connecting the GPU to PCIE 16x @ x16
The GPU is fed by 2 completely different cables with (6+2) pins. I am using 2 separate cables plugged into 2 separate PCIE B ports in the PSU. Each cable is 12 pins splitting into 2 x (6+2) pins.
Bios is at default settings, I can see it is boosting the CPU from 2.6GHz to 3GHz+
Thermals are all nice and cool.

-question:
Is there a hardware bottleneck or am I missing something obvious? I wasn't expecting a 50% performance drop.
How did you update your drivers? Are you sure your ram is running in proper config? Are there windows updates? Are you using any anti virus? What are you doing during the benchmark/stress test? Are there any background tasks? Are you using a good psu or known faulty name brand/knock off

Aug 4, 2021
How did you update your drivers? Are you sure your ram is running in proper config? Are there windows updates? Are you using any anti virus? What are you doing during the benchmark/stress test? Are there any background tasks? Are you using a good psu or known faulty name brand/knock off

SDI driver updater, and geforce experience, default "optimized defaults" setting in bios, windows fully updated, windows defender being idle, nothing during benchmarks, PSU: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 1500 watts I think it is pretty good.

SDI driver updater, and geforce experience, default "optimized defaults" setting in bios, windows fully updated, windows defender being idle, nothing during benchmarks, PSU: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 1500 watts I think it is pretty good.
There's your issue right there you bios isn't set for dual channel ram when your running dual channel. Optimized default bios only sets things to their default basically so your running dual channel in single channel at stalk speeds and most likely slower since they aren't in sink with each other

There's your issue right there you bios isn't set for dual channel ram when your running dual channel. Optimized default bios only sets things to their default basically so your running dual channel in single channel at stalk speeds and most likely slower since they aren't in sink with each other
And never use a driver tool for installing drivers they almost always get 75℅ of them wrong. Get the drivers you need from the manny web

Aug 4, 2021
And never use a driver tool for installing drivers they almost always get 75℅ of them wrong. Get the drivers you need from the manny web

Tried with official drivers, and I made sure that in bios the RAM speed is 2133MHz and played with channel interleaving and rank, I don't see any difference. I think the motherboard, indeed, automatically adjusts RAM speed and parallelism of the sticks if placed in the appropriate slots using the optimized defaults.

Maybe it is just slow hardware for the 3090?

Aug 4, 2021
It maybe but at the same time your not maximg the full potential of eother the CPU or gpu as your using them. From what I thought you were saying you never get 100℅ load on either during gaming

If you see the graph at the first post for 3dMark, it reports the GPU load which never reaches high numbers, maybe 60+% at best.
The CPU frequency reaches 3GHz which is the automatic overclock done by the motherboard, which is normal.
So during the benchmark the rest of the system (my hypothesis) cannot feed the GPU fast enough to see high loads.
I am not taking into account any games because they will not necessarily stress the CPU/GPU to the limits.