3Gb of Ram but only (763mb) available

Inomyacbs

Reputable
Oct 19, 2014
My girlfriend was complaining about her computer running slow and I took a look at it. Just from startup with no programs running her memory said it was 89% full. When I looked at her computer properties it said 3gb of RAM but only 763 mb available. Does this sound right? I know some is usually reserved for hardware but this seems like way too much. Is the memory bad? What can I do to let the computer use more of the RAM?

I checked MSconfig and the maximum memory option is unchecked so that isn't the issue.

Inomyacbs

Reputable
Oct 19, 2014

I tried this and it wouldn't boot with the 2GB stick at all and with the 1 gb stick it read the same % used and 763mb available.

This means the 2gb stick is dead correct? If i replace it, do I have to replace both sticks? Can I use a larger stick,say 4gb with the 1gb stick that works?

I wouldn't. I'd buy a matched set of modules to guarantee they will play nice together and function in dual channel operation. Unmatched modules stand a high probability of being incompatible, even when they're the exact same part number. There is too much that can be different such as timings, voltage, speed, chip density, etc. Even when everything is identical, as with identical part numbers that didn't come in a matched set which are pre-tested for compatibility, they often don't work. I'd just buy two 2GB modules, or two 4GB modules, etc.

What are your system specs including hardware model numbers or if it's a prebuilt unit, what is that model number?