3gb usable out of 4gb 64bit windows

Stun_Grenade

Reputable
Dec 5, 2015
As I mentioned in title I have clearly a windows 7 64bit os.
Its showing 3gb usable out of my 4gb ram.
When I checked in bios "pci mmio allocation 4gb to 3072mb"
^ it shows this,( memory remap)
I tried both enabling and disabling I get same issue
I tried installing windows 10 64bit still same issue
Tried searching whole internet and has no clear solution found
I have gtx 750 1gb but that definitely doesn't seem to be the issue.
My motherboard is zebronics zeb-z31, there is no bios update from manufacturer
I tried changing ram slots, tried both tick and untick in msconfig max mem.
Nothing works.
I finally tried taking out one of my ram and it fine detects 2gb ram and all is usable but idk why if I put 4gb it goes to 3gb usable.
Please help if anyone know.

Solution
Correct. The bios doesn't care what copy of windows you have. You can disconnect your hdd and watch the bios still boot. From the model name I would assume it has the G31 chipset, which was the 965 with a few tweaks. The 965 and the P35 are practically identical. My memory doesn't include if it supports 4GBs of ram. I stopped to look it up, according to Intel it should work.

https://ark.intel.com/products/31913/Intel-82G31-Graphics-and-Memory-Controller

I suspect you are right and there is some odd bios thing happening that isn't allowing 4GBs.

Stun_Grenade

Reputable
Dec 5, 2015
I have an old system actually, a core 2 quad, it has basic display adapter, it really does take 1gb for that ? Or for system purpose maybe its allocated. So I'm left with no option ?

Seyed22Shaheen

Notable
Apr 4, 2017

Yes unfortunately, you need to upgrade your Motherboard to get more RAM...

Run memtest86 to test your ram.
You should be able to complete a full pass with NO errors.
Note if memtest86 detects all 4gb.

Old display adapters may need to carve out some ram for buffers and vram.
You have a discrete graphics card.
Can you disable the integrated adapter in the bios?
If you can't, at least try to specify the minimum possible allocation for vram.

Motherboards that have legacy PCI slots have to map the MMIO addresses for legacy PCI devices into the lower 4GiB of the physical address space. This is to ensure that legacy PCI devices that support only 32-bit addressing function properly even when the physical address space is greater than 32-bits (as it has been since the mid 1990s).

In most cases, this address range will overlap with the address range of the system's memory, causing some of it to be displaced. Many motherboards that feature legacy PCI slots have an option to remap this memory above the 4GiB mark so that it does not become unusable to 32-bit operating systems that support PAE (which is basically all of them, including windows) or long-mode (64-bit mode). If this option is enabled and you're still missing 1GiB of memory, you should check to make sure that the memory is clean and properly seated.

Stun_Grenade

Reputable
Dec 5, 2015

its basic display adapter, that might carve out ram ? As there is no igpu for old gen q2c systems. and there is no option to disable integrated adapter in bios, also not possible to set allocation, with very best i tried from that old bios version, nothing is possible.

Stun_Grenade

Reputable
Dec 5, 2015

its allocation size is just fixed, its not editable, i tried disabling it and same results.

Stun_Grenade

Reputable
Dec 5, 2015

memory is clean and properly seated, tried swapping ram positions still same issue, even tried with my friend's ram and i still got same issue. When i very first added 2gb ram extra to my preinstalled 2gb, it was all detected very fine, until i installed windows 10, its all gone to 3gb and tried installing 7 back and still had same issue.

Are you certain that you're running the 64-bit version of Windows 10? I've seen this mistake more than once where users have erroneously installed the 32-bit version of Windows 10 rather than the 64-bit version of Windows 10. For marketing reasons, Microsoft has decided to limit the memory on 32-bit versions of Windows.

Open the start menu and type "system" and open it up. Please post a screenshot of this.

Seyed22Shaheen

Notable
Apr 4, 2017

Right.... Thanks for the support... Could not have been much nicer :/

Nope.

x86 microprocessors have supported PAE since it was introduced with the Pentium Pro in 1995. PAE features a 36-bit physical address space rather than a 32-bit physical address space. Naturally, processes running in protected mode (32-bit) are limited to a 4GiB virtual address space, but this address space is translated to a subset of the larger 36-bit address space.

Microsoft Windows has supported PAE since Windows 2000 and has mandated it on client versions since WIndows XP SP2 because PAE is required for Data Execution Prevention. In fact, I'm almost certain that Windows Vista and newer are PAE only.

32-bit versions of Windows Server 2003 (same kernel as XP) and 32-bit versions of Windows Server 2008 (same kernel as Vista) support gobs of memory.

The 4GiB memory limit on 32-bit client versions of Windows is entirely artificial.

Now you know.

Stun_Grenade

Reputable
Dec 5, 2015

I really didnt get you. If youre talking about the post screen , ie, the startup, it just starts like a normal computer does with no messages, just the motherboard branding and to windows 7. And how do i find how much memory it initializes ?

4745454b

Titan
You'd have to go into the bios and change what it shows during boot. Each bios calls it something else. I'm drawing a blank as to what it's called. Display logo? Something like that.

I'm sure PAE has become much more common over time, but I know there are issues using it. Notably not all software handles it and it can cause issue if something gets mapped above 4GB when it shouldn't have. It obviously had issues if x64 was developed. Lets not drag PAE into this however please. The OP has an issue, lets help him/her.

There should be an option in your setup to disable the vendor splash screen and instead display the standard AMIBIOS POST screen.

You don't want to disable memory remapping, you want to keep it enabled. If it's disabled, memory that would normally be mapped where the PCI MMIO addresses are located becomes inaccessible.

What I want you to do next is boot the PC with each DIMM individually, with only one installed at a time. If the PC boots with both DIMMs successfully and shows 2GiB on each DIMM this means that both DIMMs are functional. The next step would be to test each socket with a known-working DIMM. If all DIMMs and all sockets register 2GiB, we're back to square one. If one registers only 1GiB, we've found the culprit.

Stun_Grenade

Reputable
Dec 5, 2015

Well i did as you said, it detects all 2gb on both slots individually, even tried swapping the mem and tried on both the slots, it individually detects 2gb fine. When i add 4gb it registers only 3gb. I tried with my friends stick also, and still i have the issue. Tried disabling/enabling some settings as per google searches and all i can end up is in a black screen death so i had to take cmos and and put it back.
I have found a similar thread on tomshardware from 2010 but that remains unsolved too, maybe you can refer to it :
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/14037-63-only-3072-memory-usable-help
So any other options now ?

It's a zebronics zeb-z31. The manufacturer lists several chipsets for this product, including the G965, 946GZ, and Q33 (zeb-g31 anyway). Some of these don't support memory remapping.

My suspicion is that the manufacturer has included options in the BIOS setup that simply do not work with the included chipset.