3k$ New Computer Build! Need help!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dylanator

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013
Hello all! I am quite new to the computer building scene and thus am still nooby. I am building a new computer and need help with some questions and encourage any input about my choice of components. Firstly i will be spending around 3000$ so if you happen to look through this and see things that are unnecessary and could be dropped to save me money OR could be better for the same price OR you could think of an optimal build yourself for 3k$ I would appreciate it. I will be doing (hardcore/intense/lots of) gaming as well as editing the videos I record of the game play. The lowest resolution I will be playing on is 1080p, I am currently playing on my sony bravia 46 HD tv but I will soon get a 120Hz monitor and possibly a simple monitor to use for keeping a browser or other random things open (that is only a possibility, most likely just the one monitor). So far on cyberpower my build looks like this it is just below 3.2k$. Would like to build myself if I can find a local shop, I want it done well, never built one myself.

RANDOM STUFF: Cooler Master Thermal Compound, Professional Wiring

CASE: Azza Genesis 9000 Full Tower Gaming Case w/ 2 x 230mm fans, 4x Easy Swap HDD, Dual Power Supply Support, & front USB 3.0 Port (May be changing this, it was the one originally on the base configuration on cyberpower and I never changed it)

DRIVE: LG 12X Internal Blu-ray Drive & DVDRW, 3D Playback Combo Drive

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-3930K Six-Core 3.20 GHz 12MB Intel Smart Cache LGA2011
TUNING:Intel® Core™ i7-3930K Performance Tuning Protection Plan by Intel

COOLING: Cooler Master Seidon 120M Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator (Single Standard 120MM Fan)

HARD DRIVE: 240GB Corsair Force GS Series SATA-III 6.0Gb/s SSD - 555MB/s Read & 525MB/s Write

DATA HARD DRIVE: 3TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD

RAM: 16GB (4GBx4) DDR3/2133MHz Quad Channel Memory (deciding between the standard corsair they give [doesn't say a name] or paying just a touch more for the corsair vengeance, any thoughts?) (I will be extreme overclocking 20% more [or that is what it says at least] this whole system through cyberpower but I have read that 2133 ram isn't necessary but with me spending 3k$ I want the best I can get and I have also read that without overclocking 2133 is stupid cause it wont even work that high, but since I am overclocking its a great idea, is this correct?)

MOTHERBOARD: (3-Way SLI/CrossFireX Support) ASUS P9X79 LE Intel X79 Chipset Quad Channel DDR3 ATX w/ Remote GO!, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, 3 Gen3 PCIe X16, 2 PCIe X1 & 1 PCI

NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network (this is the standard option)

OVERCLOCKING: Extreme OC (Extreme Overclock 20% or more, is what the site says)

POWER SUPPLY: 1,000 Watts - LEPA G1000-MA 80 Plus (I have read that by running my two graphics cards in SLI which I will be doing that it jumps the power consumption up by quite a bit so I chose to upgrade to 1,000 watts from 800 watts was this necessary?)

SOUND:HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO (this is standard)

VIDEO CARD 1: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB 16X PCIe 3.0 (EVGA Superclocked - Signature 2 Edition) (I will be running my two cards in SLI, I have yet to hear back from cyberpower if they apply the bridge themselves or put it in the box for me to do, I hope they do it. Does anyone know?)

VIDEO CARD 2: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB 16X PCIe 3.0 (EVGA Superclocked - Signature 2 Edition)

There is an option for MSI brand of these cards but I dont think it is the Lightning which I have only read and seen good things about. If it is the lightning would you recommend that over the sig 2 editions, all the benchmarks I have seen would say yes.
Also, I was really stuck between going with two 7970 in crossfire but I think I would prefer the two 680's. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Also is an Intel CPU even the best choice for this system and in the case I were to change my mind to the two 7970's (which isn't likely) is Intel any good for them? Regardless I WILL be doing two graphics cards.

Lastly is this a good build that can be easily upgraded in the future?

I know this is a ton of questions and I even have a ton more but I didn't want to overload people.
Thanks so much if you looked through all this I greatly appreciate it!

2x8 in case you want to add more memory, and less sticks is always desirable.

Not sure if upgrading yourself voids the warranty, I doubt it would though, some companies are a real pain when it comes to honouring a warranty. :/

Dylanator

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013

Ah, didn't think about warranty.