Question 3rd fan on GPU (furthest from core) keeps turning on and off during idle making a croaking noise

Akhem

Reputable
Feb 3, 2020
I've looked everywhere and I can seem to find a solution. I have a EVGA 3080ti ftw3 ultra with 2 fans connected to the external fan plug at the end of the card (via fan splitter cable). Is that the cause of the third fan stopping and starting at idle? I'm using msi AB, but I don't want to use percision X because I don't know if they have the OSD. and I can't get it to set fan curves correctly.

I have a EVGA 3080ti ftw3 ultra with 2 fans connected to the external fan plug at the end of the card (via fan splitter cable). Is that the cause of the third fan stopping and starting at idle?
are these two different options for fan control or does it come with those two fans connected to the separate header?
I'm using msi AB
Afterburner has known issues with controlling some 3rd party manufacturer's GPU fans.
many times it cannot control all of the fans and many times it cannot properly display fan stats.
I don't want to use percision X because I don't know if they have the OSD
it has a built-in OSD but last time i set it up a few years ago it would not show on many titles.
could be updated to work better now.
i ended up using HWinfo & RTSS together with PrecisionX1 for OSD + GPU control.

Akhem

Reputable
Feb 3, 2020
are these two different options for fan control or does it come with those two fans connected to the separate header?
Afterburner has known issues with controlling some 3rd party manufacturer's GPU fans.
many times it cannot control all of the fans and many times it cannot properly display fan stats.
it has a built-in OSD but last time i set it up a few years ago it would not show on many titles.
could be updated to work better now.
i ended up using HWinfo & RTSS together with PrecisionX1 for OSD + GPU control.
No I added the fans. But hot damn it seems like there'd be a better way

TRENDING THREADS