Question 3rd Gen Ryzen 7 3800x/3700x vs i7 9700K/i9 9900K

May 17, 2019
So till around 24 hours ago I had a PC build ready for me to buy in a couple of months but today after Computex, after AMD released their Ryzen 7 3700X and Ryzen 7 3800X can you suggest me which CPU do I go for? These new AMD or should i stick to the 9700K/9900K? Which is better?

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
How long till Intel bring out their 10th gen? Cause I'm hoping to finish my build part by part by the end of this year
Months are how long you'll wait for 10th generation Intel chips, I'd wait until July when the new Ryzen chips are released to see what sort of performance advantage they have over Intel. So far though, it looks like AMD has a performance advantage over Intel with their new chips, and if you don't plan on overclocking, the Ryzen CPUs come with coolers.

rookieGamer

Honorable
May 16, 2017
How long till Intel bring out their 10th gen? Cause I'm hoping to finish my build part by part by the end of this year

well looks like intel is not pumping out 10nm at least not for the desktops. so check out AMD, their chips will hit market on 7/7/19
TBH intel just landed on it's Face.

AMD still might not be as good as intel on a single core but they are not far behind, they are very close.
and AMD are way ahead in mutlicore workloads and are not as expensive as intel.

so unless you got deep pockets or a intel fanboi go with AMD. but wait till their reviews are out.

Reactions: King_V
If you can afford to wait (and want to wait), I think waiting until benchmarks of the new Ryzen 3000 processors come out is a good idea. If your schedule doesn't fit that and you want to game now, then going with either 9700k or 9900k for gaming is great. Which processor suits you specifically depends on your budget.

The CPUs AMD just announced at Computex will be officially released on July 7th. Also, you have to consider the prices quoted are, most likely, MSRP, so expect a higher street price on day 1 (usually ranging from 0% to 30% depending on location and store).

As for performance, you only have AMD slides that say or mention a slight increase over Intel parts and a 15% IPC increase + ~7% increase in clocks over Ry2K. I do not believe there will be a 15% IPC increase across all workloads, so I'm willing to say there's bound to be an increase in performance of "up to" 30% on the very best case scenarios.

All in all, if you can wait then wait; benchmarks are the "do or die" for everyone looking to buy a new PC. On the other hand, even if you buy either a 2700X, 2600X, 9800K, 9900K or a 9700K you won't be unhappy with the purchase. You just need to make sure you get the most bang for your buck. Within certain price ranges and your base performance level (minimum requirement), you shouldn't worry about the next releases for gaming specifically. Personally, if you can buy a 9900K, then do it. If you can find a cheap 8700K, do it. If you can find anything Intel with >6 cores then you won't be disappointed at all (at the right price). AMD can be more of a hit or miss, depending on the offers, but they're generally cheap enough to free cash you can spend on a better GPU, SSD or more RAM.

EDIT: Somehow I lost half a paragraph, lol.

Cheers!

So till around 24 hours ago I had a PC build ready for me to buy in a couple of months but today after Computex, after AMD released their Ryzen 7 3700X and Ryzen 7 3800X can you suggest me which CPU do I go for? These new AMD or should i stick to the 9700K/9900K? Which is better?
Strange, because everyone including my car, knew this new AMD cpu was coming out.
Nothing is "better" because it still doesn't exist yet. Wait

I'd also say don't set up a build to buy in a few months time, nothing stays fixed, by the time you come to buy you'll have to reset the build. Determine what you are going to build the week before you buy it, and expect minor changes when you hit the button.

I think AMD has published a few gaming benchmarks showing improvement in percentage terms over the 2700X, so, it might be possible for a few folks to extrapolate whether that will put the 3700X/3800X ahead of 9700K (probable) or 9900k (remains to be seen)...

Like most companies, they will choose the benchmarks/games they show VERY carefully, likely only choosing the games known to run fairly well on their architecture. (One will notice they loved Blender/CInebench comparisons with the 9700K, which of course lacks HT, and makes the 35-38% performance disparity seem more routine, but, I'd be willing to bet gaming-wise we could see more evenly matched systems...which is good for everyone. Many AMD fans would get genuinely angry the past two years when folks point out the min and average framerates of the 2600X and 2700X are down up to 30% over Intel's best in quite a few games...; and it appears those days might be finally over!)