Question 3rd gen Ryzen memory bandwidth: a disaster for content creators?

Jul 7, 2019
I’m a filmmaker building a new system for 2D animation in After Effects, 3D animation in Maya, and editing in Premiere at the moment, but probably switching to DaVinci Resolve in the near future. I don’t plan to do any gaming on this system, though there’s a possibility I might use it for VR production in a gaming engine at some point.

I had planned to build with a 2nd gen Ryzen CPU, with the hopes of upgrading to the 3rd gen in the near future. But with the actual release of the 3rd gen CPU’s I’ve found out that the memory bandwidth for writes has been cut in half on these new CPUs, as it has been sacrificed in favor of features that most users will supposedly use more.

But as a content creator, a huge part of my workflow is making small changes and then doing new RAM previews or caches that write a new version of a clip to RAM so I can see what I’m doing over the course of an animation or edit. I’m not a computer expert, but it seems like this process uses “writes” to RAM as much as it uses reads (whereas I could see how games and other software might only load data into RAM once and read it many times).

Now I’m actually worried that I shouldn’t be using an AM4 socket at all for this build, if the new Ryzen’s going forward will be processors I won’t want to upgrade to.

Could someone please tell me if my understanding of writes vs. reads is correct, and whether this is a real issue I should be concerned about, or whether I’m just misunderstanding what my computer will be doing while I’m working?

Thanks!

Jul 7, 2019
unless all you so is copy data. processing power is important too
found this too.

Thanks for finding this article! Sounds like that youtube reviewer got his info from here... but when they say "AMD’s made a compromise as client workloads do very little writing" What clients are they talking about?

The target market for CPU's (at least the affordable ones) is always gamers, and I worry that this new "feature" may favor game performance at the expense of content creation workflow... also, I know they do benchmarks in Premiere and Blender, but they're always rendering benchmarks. I don't render that often, and when I do, I can leave the computer rendering while I do something else. What I want to know about is stuff like playback on shots with transitions and effects in Premiere and RAM previewing in AE, etc. In other words, how fast I can actually edit or animate without having to constantly wait around for previews to finish before I can see my work.

Jul 7, 2019
Thanks, I was wondering whether they meant clients like server/client or clients like people they sell stuff to... but I'm still not sure what they mean by client workload as it applies to a CPU-- does this mean what most software requires as far as reads vs. writes?

I'm actually building a new machine for the first time in 7 years (was working in the VFX industry and have now begun working on a project on my own-- haven't needed a workstation until now). However, I'm fairly certain from my research that my bottleneck in this system will be the CPU... even in my currrent 3-year-old laptop not designed for this purpose (but still at least has a GeForce card) the bottleneck on these sorts of projects is my CPU... that being said, these projects often also use close to 100% of the RAM I allocate to them as well, so it's not going to be as easy as choosing CPU vs. RAM. I kinda need a fast CPU and fast RAM, and it seems like if I went with Intel I wouldn't have to choose? And that sucks because I've already bought everything for an AM4 build, anticipating that Zen 2 would be at least as good if not better for my purposes than Intel :(

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
I’m a filmmaker building a new system for 2D animation in After Effects, 3D animation in Maya, and editing in Premiere at the moment, but probably switching to DaVinci Resolve in the near future. I don’t plan to do any gaming on this system, though there’s a possibility I might use it for VR production in a gaming engine at some point.

I had planned to build with a 2nd gen Ryzen CPU, with the hopes of upgrading to the 3rd gen in the near future. But with the actual release of the 3rd gen CPU’s I’ve found out that the memory bandwidth for writes has been cut in half on these new CPUs, as it has been sacrificed in favor of features that most users will supposedly use more.

But as a content creator, a huge part of my workflow is making small changes and then doing new RAM previews or caches that write a new version of a clip to RAM so I can see what I’m doing over the course of an animation or edit. I’m not a computer expert, but it seems like this process uses “writes” to RAM as much as it uses reads (whereas I could see how games and other software might only load data into RAM once and read it many times).

Now I’m actually worried that I shouldn’t be using an AM4 socket at all for this build, if the new Ryzen’s going forward will be processors I won’t want to upgrade to.

Could someone please tell me if my understanding of writes vs. reads is correct, and whether this is a real issue I should be concerned about, or whether I’m just misunderstanding what my computer will be doing while I’m working?

Thanks!
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...MD-Ryzen-3rd-Gen-CPUs-for-Video-Editing-1522/

You will be flooded with reviews for the next month solid, just hang in there and make the appropriate judgment call when you see the info you want.

Jul 7, 2019
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...MD-Ryzen-3rd-Gen-CPUs-for-Video-Editing-1522/

You will be flooded with reviews for the next month solid, just hang in there and make the appropriate judgment call when you see the info you want.

That link was really helpful, thanks! I didn't realize Puget Systems did so much to cater to creators, and people in the comments are already asking for a test of previewing in AE, etc. so here's hoping they will get to that one soon!

I unfortunately can't wait too long as I don't currently have a system that will handle the project I need to get to work on, but I've decided to wait at least 1 week, as it seems like the reviews are coming in pretty quickly. It appears that I've happened to need a new workstation at the exact same time as "the most exciting CPU release in a decade" according to several reviewers so far, so it makes sense to try not to miss out, I'm thinking. :)