Question 3rd monitor 1440p/4k monitor performance loss?

RikkIV

Reputable
Oct 20, 2016
14
0
4,510
0
Hi,

Currently I'm running three monitors(3x 1080p) 240hz, 144hz and 60hz. My question is,
- if I replace that 60hz monitor with a 4k monitor will that take I an extra performance hit on my gaming performance(GPU= 3080, with the 240hz being the primary monitor)?

Secondly,
  • Would I benefit from using the integrated graphics of my CPU on that 4k monitor?
  • Wouldn't that integrated GPU take away some of the CPU resources?
 
Firstly, you cannot use your CPU's integrated graphics if you have a dedicated GPU installed, if the motherboard detects a dedicated graphics card it will disable the integrated graphics card.

Secondly, your peripheral monitors do not drop your performance if you're not gaming on them, if your main monitor is the 240Hz and the other 2 just have your desktop open with say facebook open for example, it will have no effect. The GPU is using 99% processing power to render that game on your main monitor, the other 1% or so to display windows and stuff, completely negligible performance usage.
 
Reactions: RikkIV
Firstly, you cannot use your CPU's integrated graphics if you have a dedicated GPU installed
Not true.
Integrated GPU can be controlled via options in BIOS.
By default iGPU gets disabled, when discrete GPU is present. But iGPU can be re-enabled.
Secondly, your peripheral monitors do not drop your performance if you're not gaming on them
Again - not true.
Just by having additional monitors connected and enabled, this can cause performance on main monitor to drop introducing frame drops and stutters.
 
- if I replace that 60hz monitor with a 4k monitor will that take I an extra performance hit on my gaming performance(GPU= 3080, with the 240hz being the primary monitor)?
Unknown. You have to check and see.
Would I benefit from using the integrated graphics of my CPU on that 4k monitor?
Probably not.
Wouldn't that integrated GPU take away some of the CPU resources?
If you're not gaming on that monitor, then impact would not be significant. But it could rise cpu temperatures and by this also lower performance.
More significant - enabled iGPU would take portion of system ram for itself exclusively. Total amount of available system ram would get reduced.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY