3rd monitor but only 2 outputs on mobo??

wp7456

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013
I have a dual monitor set up in my office. I want to add a TV on the wall behind them to serve two purposes:

1. To act as a 3rd monitor (How it will be used most of the time)

2. To mirror one of my monitors to more easily show things to clients

I'm running windows 8.1 and I think switching between independent monitor and mirroring won't be a problem. However...

My motherboard only has 2 monitor connections, 1 hdmi and 1 dvi. Can I solve this issue without replacing the mobo?

Solution
A dedicated video card to put inside your PC would be the best solution.
Something like a GT 740 would be good for 3 HD displays

You can get a USB display adapter instead of the dedicated card but you may have issues switching back and forth from mirror to extended desktop, not to mention another device to sit on your desk and require a power cable.

Your other option for a mirror only setup is an hdmi splitter.

For switching from Extended to Mirror it would be best to setup profiles in whatever program comes with your graphics card and switch them that way instead of doing the windows switching in windows 8.1
A dedicated video card to put inside your PC would be the best solution.
Something like a GT 740 would be good for 3 HD displays

You can get a USB display adapter instead of the dedicated card but you may have issues switching back and forth from mirror to extended desktop, not to mention another device to sit on your desk and require a power cable.

Your other option for a mirror only setup is an hdmi splitter.

For switching from Extended to Mirror it would be best to setup profiles in whatever program comes with your graphics card and switch them that way instead of doing the windows switching in windows 8.1

Solution