3rd post-same DHCP problem-Somebody help me please

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

Please excuse the long post, but i believe it is necessary to understand my
problem.
I am attached to the internet via a cable modem. I have 8 systems on my
workgroup, including 3 XP, 1 2K, 1 Win98, 1 Win 95 1 Linux and 2 printers.
normally only 3 nodes up at a time. I was able to easily configure and set
these up and they all work seamlessly and i never had a hitch.
Recently i added a NT box and it has been a long headache. At one point the
NT box was seing the other computers but they could not see it, which
prompted me on advice to reapply the service pack 6. Well that kind of fixed
it. Everybody was now seing everybody but now i cannot access the internet
from the NT box, plus a message on startup:
"the DHCP client obtained an IP address that is already in use on the
network, The local interface will be disabled until the DHCP client can
obtain a valid address"

out of desperation i even changed the the network card and tried everything
my limited knowledge could conceive and the problem get worst. I cannot see
other computer or access the internet any and so i give up unless someone
can throw me a rope. Somebody out there, i will appreciate any assistance to
get this to work

--
http://QLiner.com

The goal of the works of a genius' existance lies only in itself.

"stewart allen" wrote:

> Please excuse the long post, but i believe it is necessary to understand my
> problem.
> I am attached to the internet via a cable modem. I have 8 systems on my
> workgroup, including 3 XP, 1 2K, 1 Win98, 1 Win 95 1 Linux and 2 printers.
> normally only 3 nodes up at a time. I was able to easily configure and set
> these up and they all work seamlessly and i never had a hitch.
> Recently i added a NT box and it has been a long headache. At one point the
> NT box was seing the other computers but they could not see it, which
> prompted me on advice to reapply the service pack 6. Well that kind of fixed
> it. Everybody was now seing everybody but now i cannot access the internet
> from the NT box, plus a message on startup:
> "the DHCP client obtained an IP address that is already in use on the
> network, The local interface will be disabled until the DHCP client can
> obtain a valid address"
>
> out of desperation i even changed the the network card and tried everything
> my limited knowledge could conceive and the problem get worst. I cannot see
> other computer or access the internet any and so i give up unless someone
> can throw me a rope. Somebody out there, i will appreciate any assistance to
> get this to work
>

> --
> http://QLiner.com
>
> The goal of the works of a genius' existance lies only in itself.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

I think I need to know a little more about your cable modem. Meaning If it has 4 ports and you are daisy chaning a hub or router to get 8 access points then it is possible then your isp may have configured your "modem" to only have a maxium of 4 ip addresses avalable. If this is the case in order to jump from computer to coputer you would have to release the lease. I hope this helps