[SOLVED] 3rd Storage drive dying in the span of 11 months

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

slavi_asenov2002

Honorable
Apr 11, 2018
I have made a post a couple of months ago with the same stuff going on, same model drive, same everything.
https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...n-the-span-of-3-months.3760384/#post-22683580

It is 11 months exactly as my Seagate 2tb HDD died in the span of 30 minutes after a game started crashing, not responding.
As I have described in the previous post, I got a 2TB Samsung 870 EVO as a replacement that died like 3/4 months after I bought it. The health suddenly dropped - the bad sectors become more and more and in like 1 hour all data stored there was unusable.
The images of HD sentinel on the 1st Samsung drive - https://prnt.sc/4VLp5pAlX_W2 , https://prnt.sc/x037D_CmhwQo
And same one for the replaced Samsung drive - https://prnt.sc/0yxC_rtzvHf9 , https://prnt.sc/yqTXurx0e7M0

The 1st Samsung drive was given to the shop and later sent to some service in another country, which determined that the cause of the failure is "uncertain", they sent me a replacement.
When I got it I wondered what could be the cause of it and I wondered about my PSU, PSU cables and so on. As I was not able to afford a new better PSU then I just used the power cable used by the ADATA SSD (which had no problems and still has no problems) and used the one that were my failed drives on the ADATA.
And boom my second Samsung drive is dying as I am writing this. I have contacted the shop again they will send it again to the service, however I baffled, annoyed and to be honest angry to myself for not upgrading my PSU just because it "works".

As this is the third drive that is dead for these 11 months I am beginning to wonder what on earth is happening? I am assuming the PSU has deteriorated and it cannot handle spikes and in those spikes it does kill something (in this case the SSD)?
Any ideas on possible causes?

I remember that today the electricity stopped unexpectedly a couple of times. i turned on my PC - electricity stops for 5 min - I wait another 10 - turn it on, work - stops for 5 min - wait .... so on and so on. That was 4 times this day. To be honest it is not that uncommon and I have one of those power strip with protection for my PC and Monitors. I think that it is worth noting.

System Specs:
MB: Asrock AB350M Pro4 - bought June 2018 new
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600(now stock it was OC'ed before for some time 4.0 1.26v) - bought June 2018 new
GPU: RX 5700 XT (undervolted 1.075v) - bought December 2019 new
PSU: System power 9 600w - bought June 2018 new
RAM: 2x8gb Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz - bought around 2020 new
Storage: 120gb ADATA SU650 - bought around 2020 new
240GB Kingston A400 - bought around 2020 new
2TB Samsung 870 EVO - replaced on May 2022

Edit: I am now using Samsung Magician's diagnostic scans:
For now the "short scan" does not detect anything bad,
the "short SMART self-test" - does not detect anything
the "Extended SMART self-test" - fails
After this scan I got "Failing LBA" message
the "full scan" - failed - no log

Image of the SMART scans:
https://prnt.sc/dRfxzq-cuA-s

Last edited:
If that many Samsung drives were consistently failing, there is no way it wouldn't be front and center top of the hour headline news on every online tech rag there is. There has to be more going on or some specific combination of hardware, specific controller, something, going on. Much like the recent problems with the RTX 4090 that seem to be due to user error from not being fully inserted. IDK, but if that were happening at greater than 1% failure rates, we'd have read it and not been able to not see it, on Tom's hardware, Techspot, TechPowerUP, Tweaktown, Hardware busters, GamersNexus, The FPS review, Anandtech, ExtremeTech and like 20 different Youtube channels not to mention fifty sub-Reddits as well.

Those drives have been out for almost two years, if there was a major problem I cannot believe Samsung wouldn't have released a new revision without the problem by now. But, I've been wrong before.

Reactions: aldan
If that many Samsung drives were consistently failing, there is no way it wouldn't be front and center top of the hour headline news on every online tech rag there is. There has to be more going on or some specific combination of hardware, specific controller, something, going on. Much like the recent problems with the RTX 4090 that seem to be due to user error from not being fully inserted. IDK, but if that were happening at greater than 1% failure rates, we'd have read it and not been able to not see it, on Tom's hardware, Techspot, TechPowerUP, Tweaktown, Hardware busters, GamersNexus, The FPS review, Anandtech, ExtremeTech and like 20 different Youtube channels not to mention fifty sub-Reddits as well.

Those drives have been out for almost two years, if there was a major problem I cannot believe Samsung wouldn't have released a new revision without the problem by now. But, I've been wrong before.

As an example, I reported, at HDD Guru, that WD's "5400 RPM class" HDDs were actually spinning at 7200 RPM almost 1 year before those other sites caught on.

Also, I reported that the widely misrepresented claim that WD's "IntelliPower" HDDs varied their RPM from 5400 RPM to 7200 RPM according to workload was nonsense long before these sites became aware.

Therefore, I am not surprised.

If you haven't already, read this:

Samsung 840 EVO - how to easily lose your data forever:

https://forum.acelab.eu.com/viewtopic.php?f=227&t=8735

slavi_asenov2002

Honorable
Apr 11, 2018
Some updates on my side:

I bought the Corsair RM850x and today I changed the bequiet with it.
I have sent back the SSD to the store which has send it to a service somewhere abroad. No info on that probably would take the full 2 weeks to "investigate" and give info on the problem. Hope this time they do not say "Could not find specific reason" or some sort of this.

There is something that I would like to note for the PSUs. You know there is a light on both PCIe ports on the Rog RX 5700XT indicating the power "stuff". The thing I noticed is that when I was turning off the bequiet PSU from the button on the back, it would take a whole minute or two for those lights to turn off. I would usually even press the power button and everything would turn on for a moment. Now when I turned off the Corsair PSU those lights turned off in 2/3 seconds and when I press the power button nothing would turn on which is cool. It was a small thing maybe even harmless but still i immediately spotted that.

slavi_asenov2002

Honorable
Apr 11, 2018
Well some update here, not like it needs. I got my drive replaced (again), changed the port of the ssd, changed the data cable, have switched my PSU to Corsair rm850x, have checked all electrical socket and the fuse for the room , and got some kind of electric shock, surge protections (I am not an electrician but it probably works like the power strips with this protections). The only thing is that I have not updated or changed anything regarding the MB. Thanks for the info that you gave me :)

slavi_asenov2002

Honorable
Apr 11, 2018
And nothing has changed? Or the problem was resolved?

Time will tell. As I said I got it replaced by a 2022-07 made in china drive, which is new. All past were made in Korea (second was 11.2021 or something like that). So far after 1.2TB written, 60 power-on hours the only SMART value that has changed is the Wear Leveling count to 99. So I think everything is fine for now. Hope this drive stays alive for at least until the end of warranty as I am tired of changing the drive.

slavi_asenov2002

Honorable
Apr 11, 2018
You JUST got the drive and already have 1.2TB written? That seems, extremely excessive, unless this is a backup drive that you needed to move 1.2TB to immediately.
Well it is kinda not wonder, it is my game drive. I play a lot of games and one of them requires additional content of around 200gb which was an archive. The drive currently has 600-700gb on it(or something like that)
The only thing that I do not like is the wear level count that has changed after only 1.2Tb written. Yeah you can say but it is only 1 level down. But 2 things: it has only had 1.2Tb(which would not change in the near future) and has 60 hours power on. Who knows maybe the Chinese made SSDs have their wear level down to ,99 fast but then it is barely moving.
Still time will tell, I did almost everything that I could. The only thing not done is new MB but I changed the SATA port for the SSD, so I hope the SSD lives long enough.

Edit: I saw the model is the same MZ-77E2T0B/EU, so I still have no trust in the current one. I checked the firmware in the website and I saw this message:
The 870 evo model will be manufactured with a revised v6 process starting november 2022.
And if that "revised process" is the fix of the problem, I am still without luck as mine is produced July 2022.
Hope I am not correct for this one. However I am gonna write directly to Samsung to check my luck there and if possible get some answers.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS