3TB drive on Pentium 4 / Windows XP SP2 issues

willow5

Commendable
Aug 19, 2016
Yes you heard right, I am trying to install a 3TB drive on a Pentium 4 / Windows XP SP2 !

I have bought an internal 3TB SATA HDD which is installed on SATA 0 on my Pentium 4 Motherboard (Intel D865PERL) but the OS is running on SATA 1. I need to use a Pentium 4 as I am doing some analogue video capturing with an AGP graphics card. I am running Windows XP x32-bit and downloaded the latest ATA controllers as well as Intel INF software (bearing in mind this is now way out of support) but the BIOS only shows the drive as having 801.6Gb capacity and Windows Disk Management only shows the drive as 746.5Gb capacity with no additional formatting options or unformatted areas.

Please can you help me to expand to at least 2TB (as I understand Windows XP supports 2TB) ? I have done endless searches on Google and has directed me to a few threads on this site which have 746Gb fixes for this issue but the fixes are dependent on Intel Rapid Storage Technology software which is not compatible with Windows XP Professional.

Sorry if I have missed anything but I am willing to try anything to get this working...

Thanks in advance for your advice

Solution
Alternatively install it on another machine, and share it to the xp machine? Connect with GBe and you'll be close enough to max performance.

popatim

Titan
You can use another pc to pre-format partitions 2gb or smaller, That should get you a storage drive

For a boot drive you will need to find a driver overlay file. WD used to supply one with their Datalifeguard tools (version 11 I think)
Seagates was in Diskwizard (10.4 or so)

willow5

Commendable
Aug 19, 2016
Thanks for your reply - I read somewhere if the BIOS doesn't recognise a 3TB drive then Windows won't recognise it. Will Windows recognise the partitions if I format the drive on another PC? Do I need for format it as NTFS or FAT?

Also it is a WD drive so should I search for the tool you mention to make it a bootable drive? If I simply need it for storage and not bootable then would a format on another PC be all I need?

G

Just out of curiosity...

1) What's the use of this machine?
2) Why XP... Couldn't you get SP3 at least. XP has been EOL since April 2014
3) Specs please

b-man542

Reputable
Jun 14, 2014

A motherboard of that age will most likely not support 3TB disks, if I recall correctly many devices with SATA 1 will only support disks up to 2TB in size and will have this issue when larger disks are used. I cannot specifically find any information about the maximum disk size your BIOS supports. The fact the BIOS sees the drive but doesn't show the size correctly is an indication this is likely to be the problem.

You might be able to pick up a RAID card that supports up to 4TB disks if you need

TRENDING THREADS