Question 3TB Hard Drive noise on startup

battlecaptain

Commendable
Dec 9, 2018
So this has been happening for some time now and i'm really starting to worry. I built my first PC back in November and one part that i had with it was a Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5 inch 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive. For the past month and a half, i believe, everytime i power on my PC it makes a grinding/rumbling noise and lasts for maybe about 10 seconds or less. The startup process is normal and it is fine so no problems with that. Also i ran diagnostic checks on my hard drive and it says everything is functioning properly. So what i'm wondering is why is it that everytime i start up my computer, my HDD makes that noise for about 10 seconds and then the noise stops?

Are you certain that those noises are new? Every time the hard drive powers up it's performing a self test. Maybe that's what you are hearing. I would be extremely concerned if this happened during normal drive operation.

What Hard Drive tests did you run? Did you check the drive for bad sectors? You have to use specific software from the drive's manufacturer in order to draw more accurate conclusions.

Additionally since you can never me absolutely certain with Hard Drives, you have to constantly back up every important file you have on it and frequently check its health/smart status just in case.

Finally you can try to RMA the drive but I don't think they'll replace it, when the drive's smart tests don't show anything abnormal.