3TB Hard Drives

G

One of my hard drives failed, so I put in a 3TB Deskstar as a nice capacity upgrade. However, if I put in the Deskstar, the BIOS (M3A32-MVP Deluxe version 2104) doesn't show any red flags, while Windows 7 fails to boot. Without it, Windows boots fine. Even when I boot into Windows then attach the drive, it still restarts then goes into an infinite Startup Repair loop. How do I fix this?

G

I put it in a USB 2.0/eSATA Thermaltake BlacX dock, and Windows recognizes it. However, Windows can only recognize 800GB on the disk, even with GPT.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Hard disks Partitioned with MBR Partition Tables can only support Partition sizes up to 2 TB. See this link for some explanation about 80% down from top, under heading "Limitations":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS

It appears your options are to re-Partition using a different system - GPT with EFI support and a 64-bit version of the OS, or maybe simply using the MBR Partition system but making you huge HDD into two Partitions, each of no more than 2 TB.

G

I was using it as a data drive anyway, but I found out the problem; the drive was connected to the Marvell 6121 SATA controller on the board, not the southbridge. Changing connectors worked.

Pointertovoid

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008

The 2TB limitation comes from some Windows and from the Mbr partition, not from Ntfs.
The 2TB limitation in Windows isn't related with 32b and 64b versions.
The partition table limits the size of the disk, not the volume. Creating more volumes doesn't improve.