3TB Hdd Not Recognized In Windows 10

shashank11701

Distinguished
May 27, 2016
I have a 3tb internal wd hdd and when i install it in case and plugged it in pc it did not open,not any error or any notification but when i opened disk mangement it showed as Healthy GPT Protective Partition.....Help Mee

Solution
As the drive is properly recognized when attached internally and given the fact the information is really important, you should just back it up, while the drive is attached internally.

If the drive is inaccessible when attached externally to two different systems, then there's a chance that the enclosure is causing it. Once you've backed up the data, try to clean the drive with the commands from my previous reply and partition and format the drive. In case the issue persists, then try a different enclosure. That way you will be sure if there is something wrong with it.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)
Hi there shashank11701,

Sorry that you are facing some issues with your WD drive. :(

This should be a secondary drive right? Do you have some important data stored on the drive?
In case you don't, you can clean the drive through command prompt -> go to Disk Management -> repartition and reformat the drive.

So, you can:
- Open CMD
- diskpart [enter]
- list disk [enter]
- select drive [number] [enter]
- clean all [enter]

It will not hurt to test the drive afterwards. You can do so with WD's DLG tool(both short and extended tests): http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=fBG8a7

Let me know how this goes,

shashank11701

Distinguished
May 27, 2016

Ya,i Have over 2TB of Important office Data is there any way to open it or jst get data

Was that drive on another PC before that? What is your OS?

Well, one thing you can try is the Ubuntu Live CD approach. You will need a CD or a flash drive, and some storage space where you can save the recovered data.

So, you just need to boot up(don't install it, just boot) Ubuntu from a CD or a flash drive and access the 3 TB drive: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/267999-32-recover-data-mode

Hope this will help,

shashank11701

Distinguished
May 27, 2016

No,Drive was not connected to Any Pc....i Used it only in my laptop....I have windows 10 installed in corsair 120gb & 3tb was data storing drive..And it contents Very Important data......

shashank11701

Distinguished
May 27, 2016

Hey,i found one thing that when i connected to my friends pc by sata and power from smps it worked fine but in enclosure it showed as GPT And not useable

As the drive is properly recognized when attached internally and given the fact the information is really important, you should just back it up, while the drive is attached internally.

If the drive is inaccessible when attached externally to two different systems, then there's a chance that the enclosure is causing it. Once you've backed up the data, try to clean the drive with the commands from my previous reply and partition and format the drive. In case the issue persists, then try a different enclosure. That way you will be sure if there is something wrong with it.

Cheers,

Solution

shashank11701

Distinguished
May 27, 2016

Ok,bro thanxx 4 ur help