Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010
Hello there,

Need help in RAM pairings.

Current PC specifications:

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K
MOBO: Gigabyte Z270X-Gaming K5
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LED 2x8gb 3200mhz (8gb x 3) - 16-18-18-36 3200Mhz 1.35V

(https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...geance-led-configurator/p/CMU16GX4M2C3200C16R )

I used to have 8Gb x 4 = 32GB but one of my RAM stick went bad. I diagnosed the faulty stick and removed it from the system. So now I am left with 8Gb x 3 = 24GB now. Looking to buy another lone stick but nobody seems to have only one stick.

There's a guy selling 2nd hand Klevv Bolt DDR4-3000CL 15-16-16 8GB 1.35V for a good price. Can I use this RAM without problems? Any advice?

Solution
How this is going to play out is anyone's guess. Mixing sets or mixing a singular ram with another set in your case is a gamble, it might work.

Selling all ram and going a pair of 2x16 would be better to keep things simple.

With the faulty ram you found, how did you isolate it? Did you try switch them in different dimm slots?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
How this is going to play out is anyone's guess. Mixing sets or mixing a singular ram with another set in your case is a gamble, it might work.

With the faulty ram you found, how did you isolate it? Did you try switch them in different dimm slots?

Solution

kasazn

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010

I did isolate it, my system have been running for months without problem. I also tested the RAM with memtest and other RAM testing software to verify it's faulty so yeah.

Reactions: boju

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Checking to be sure the system isn't trolling you. Has on me with 3x 4GB sticks on a triple channel system of mine and it defaulted to 8GB suddenly after many years. Swapping them around, same result. Thought i isolated the stick but on it's own was fine. Kept at it, reseating, swapping etc and after awhile it came back to 12 to my surprise.

Anyway, memory can be funny duddy at times but cant argue with memtest.

kasazn

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010
Checking to be sure the system isn't trolling you. Has on me with 3x 4GB sticks on a triple channel system of mine and it defaulted to 8GB suddenly after many years. Swapping them around, same result. Thought i isolated the stick but on it's own was fine. Kept at it, reseating, swapping etc and after awhile it came back to 12 to my surprise.

Anyway, memory can be funny duddy at times but cant argue with memtest.

With the faulty RAM, I was getting constant BSOD out of nowhere. Corrupted data files and everything. Even when downloading huge files it would BSOD sometimes. Rebooting would make the system run chkdisk and correct errors. Once I found the faulty stick, I reformatted my whole system because the damage is already done. Glad to rule that bad stick out. Was having BSOD a few weeks and it worsened over time.

TRENDING THREADS