3x GTX 780 Ti Triple SLI or AMD Radeon R9 290X Tri-X?

Death Prodigy

Reputable
Apr 4, 2014
The R9 290X has relatively about as good performance as 780 Ti for cheaper than it, and I'll be getting them in a triple graphics card setup. I'm currently (planning) on gaming at 4K with maximum settings.

Solution

4K is nearly identical to 1440p visually. The ONLY advantage would be slightly better anti-aliasing in some games, though modern anti-aliasing is starting to almost eliminate aliasing even at 2560x1440. There would currently be no advantage with TEXTURES since games don't have textures that high (not even 1080p usually).

However, attempting to achieve a good frame rate in modern games at 4K + best anti-aliasing isn't really feasible.

Beyond 2560x1440 we're starting to enter the point where the advantages of the higher pixel count are fairly small, but the disadvantages in cost and performance...
A couple points:

1) 4K gets about HALF the frame rate as 1440p and it's arguably IMPOSSIBLE to see the difference

2) 3xSLI/Crossfire has more issues than 2x (including NOISE)

3) SLI is superior to Crossfire

4) NVidia G-Sync is the only way to get the smoothest gaming experience.

*Thus, my advice is go with a 2xGTX780Ti (maybe Asus) and buy a 27", 2560x1440, G-Sync monitor (coming soon).

Here's more info on G-Sync:

Linus from Techtips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PJjhBUSuHk

Article: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/64586-week-nvidias-g-sync-monitor.html

Summary:
I get that you want the ULTIMATE gaming experience, but frankly IMO that starts with G-Sync, and then the ability to achieve 50FPS+ (with G-Sync it's much smoother) at 1440p max quality.

Death Prodigy

Reputable
Apr 4, 2014
So... Let's say I play Crysis 3 at 1440p with maximum settings with SSAA turned on (don't worry, the money saved from a 1440p monitor would allow me to upgrade my GPU to play at over 60fps), the image quality would be as good as 4K?
Alternatively I could downsample 4K to 1440p for just as good image quality.
Is 2560x1440 resolution really as good as 4K?

Death Prodigy

Reputable
Apr 4, 2014
I just realized that this setup would exceed my budget as the monitor I want to get is
Dell UltraSharp UP3214Q 4K, I would only have budget for 2 GTX 780 Tis Overclocked which would pull performance of about 30+ fps in Crysis 3 with maximum settings and 4x MSAA turned on. Not that I'm complaining though, as 30fps isn't bad, it's actually more than playable, and the extreme image quality would take away the sting of low fps anyway.

JUICEhunter

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
Get the ROG SWIFT with 780ti SLI. FPS will be through the roof, G-sync will visually minimize the annoyance of fluctuating FPS and dips that all games have with any setup, 120hz + high FPS will equal greater clarity when there is movement which is... all the time. You will be the big dog on top of the hill for a LONG TIME!

Death Prodigy

Reputable
Apr 4, 2014
Will a downsampled 1440p image (ROG Swift) to 4K look as good as a real 4K image?
I'm not a crazy pixel-counting fanatic, I just want a truly ultimate gaming experience so I wanna go 4K.
On the other hand, if you guys think that 4K isn't really much different from 1440p, then I'd be happy to go with a 120Hz 1440p monitor

JUICEhunter

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
From the ASUS site:

The SWIFT features a newly developer high quality and ultra high performance native 8bit TN panel. This considerably improves on the overall quality of the panel especially when compared to majority of TN monitors based on 6 bit or 8 bit panles featuring frc & dithering.

Also: Tech sites that have seen this screen in action loved how it looks and noted how clear and sharp 3d games were during movement which is... all the time (hence the 120hz). Are you after the sharpest screen shots or do you want clarity when there is movement, motion blur is annoying on my 60hz monitor. I can't wait for G-sync/High Hz gaming.

JUICEhunter

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
60hz @ any resolution has motion blur because the screen is refreshing itself at a maximum of 60 times per second all the FPS in the world that your GPU makes won't make your screen refresh itself any faster. With 120hz the screen refreshes itself 120 times per second so when there is movement you can truly enjoy your FPS <60 and with more clarity (assuming your GPU can render 120fps) and yes the human eye can tell the difference between the best 60hz and 120hz gaming it's clear as day. Why have sharp 4k graphics with a 60hz refresh rate that becomes blurry when you move...

4K is nearly identical to 1440p visually. The ONLY advantage would be slightly better anti-aliasing in some games, though modern anti-aliasing is starting to almost eliminate aliasing even at 2560x1440. There would currently be no advantage with TEXTURES since games don't have textures that high (not even 1080p usually).

However, attempting to achieve a good frame rate in modern games at 4K + best anti-aliasing isn't really feasible.

Beyond 2560x1440 we're starting to enter the point where the advantages of the higher pixel count are fairly small, but the disadvantages in cost and performance are fairly high.

I have a 2560x1440 monitor and play most games at 1920x1080 because they just don't look much different and I wish to achieve 60FPS. I do play some "god", top-down games, like StarCraft 2, CIV5 etc because they do look better (mostly the HUD/Text); however these top-down games tend not to be as demanding and I think a single GTX770 can handle pretty much any game of this type at 60FPS, 2560x1440, Max Quality.

SMOOTH gameplay is very important too (many would say the MOST important). In fact, the better the visual experience the worse any stutter, lag or low frame rates are going to jar you out of your immersive experience.

My recommendation still remain that you should look at a 2xGTX780Ti, and G-Sync 27", 2560x1440 monitor.

Solution

Aqulies12

Reputable
Aug 16, 2014
I am sorry but I'm pretty sure the R9 290/290x keep up with the tiatans for cheeper and in some cases out proforma them. They don't proforma about the same at all. As for 4k there is no antilasing needed and when games come around to employing 4k for the main street more textures will be added. Look at 4k video. There is a diffrance. Some people I sewar

Blaise170

Honorable

Sorry, but I can't take some people serious when they don't use proper grammar. Please don't bump topics that are over four months old.

zaysk

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013

This.

How hard is it to spell properly, people? You look like a 10 year old when you spell like this.