[SOLVED] 3x8 Pin for 3080 - will this PSU work?

Mar 13, 2020
Hey all,

so I'm a total noob when it comes to building PCs and such. I plan on getting a ASUS ROG Strix 3080 OC whenever it is no longer just a faraway dream, and the 3x8 pin connectors it requires simply confuse me. Therefore, I hope that somebody here might be able to reassure me?

The PSU I am considering is the AX Series AX1000 – 1000 Watt 80 PLUS Titanium.
( Reason I am replacing my current PSU: annoying coilwhine, tested all other sources. )

You can see my current parts in my signature, however I plan on upgrading CPU and MB to ASUS ROG Maximus XII Hero and Intel Core i9 10900K down the road, so please do also keep that in mind!

Is it possible to run this planned set-up with that PSU and the cables / connections it supplies?

Solution
Yes, that is enough.
That psu is one of the best 1000watt units out there.
You need a psu with at least 2 pcie peripheral outputs, for a 8 pin to 2x6+2 and and 8 to 6+2 pin, and then you need to make sure it has enough power on the 12volt rail, which that psu does.

Also
lol intel in 2020 rip.

Maybe if you don't care about multicore, you can wait for the i9 11900k, which will be as fast as amd in single core, but the 10900k is 10 cores for the price of 12, much faster cores.
Yes, that is enough.
You need a psu with at least 2 pcie peripheral outputs, for a 8 pin to 2x6+2 and and 8 to 6+2 pin, and then you need to make sure it has enough power on the 12volt rail, which that psu does.

Also
lol intel in 2020 rip.

Maybe if you don't care about multicore, you can wait for the i9 11900k, which will be as fast as amd in single core, but the 10900k is 10 cores for the price of 12, much faster cores.

Solution
Mar 13, 2020
Yes, that is enough.

Thank you! Wanted to make sure this would work together well before buying.

Also
lol intel in 2020 rip.

Which AMD CPU would you suggest instead? I assume the 5900X? It'll be a couple months before that's something I'll tackle and I'm happy to research / look at other options in the meantime. Money will have to be saved up one way or another. ; )

Thank you! Wanted to make sure this would work together well before buying.

Which AMD CPU would you suggest instead? I assume the 5900X? It'll be a couple months before that's something I'll tackle and I'm happy to research / look at other options in the meantime. Money will have to be saved up one way or another. ; )
Any ryzen 5th gen to be honest.
ryzen 5th gen has more cores per dollar, and the cores are significantly faster than intel.
The 5900X is a 12 core, while the i9 10900k is a 10 core, and the 5900X, again, has faster cores by a huge margin.

Intel's 11th gen, that will launch Q1 2021, probably around march, is supposed to close the gap, or even win in single core, but, it only goes up to 8 cores, and intel's never been one to aggressively price stuff, so the i9 11900k will probably be the same as the 5800X in both single and multicore, but cost as much as the 5900X.