4/2 internet speed

newatpcbuilding

Commendable
Jun 4, 2017
So i just got a new internet with the speed of 4/2 Mbit/s. I know that's not fast but can someone tell me how slow it is compared to a normally fast internet? And how fast would it download a 10 GB file?

Solution
There's 8 Bits in a Byte. So 4mbps = 0.5 megabytes per second. That means (assuming you actually get a sustained 4mbps download speed), it'll take 20,000 seconds to download an 10GB file. Which is around 335 minutes, or just over 5 and a half hours.
There's 8 Bits in a Byte. So 4mbps = 0.5 megabytes per second. That means (assuming you actually get a sustained 4mbps download speed), it'll take 20,000 seconds to download an 10GB file. Which is around 335 minutes, or just over 5 and a half hours.

Solution

newatpcbuilding

Commendable
Jun 4, 2017

Thanks man really helpful. But what does the "2" in the 4/2 mean?

That second number is generally your upload speed. So you have 4mbps down and 2mbps up.

That's kinda unusual because the upload speed on consumer connections is generally much lower, far less than 50%. But it means if you're syncing stuff from your PC/laptop up to your dropbox or similar, you'll still get a decent bitrate (relative to your download speed, anyway).