4.2ghz on 965:BE, voltage question

gman94

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
I have it at 4.2ghz and it appears to be stable, however 1.425v in the BIOS will not be stable, I can set it to 1.4375 and it stays stable however in actuality it is 1.456-1.463v on idle and goes up to 1.48-1.49 under Prime95. Isn't that a little high to achieve 4.2 at that voltage? I can get 4ghz stable at 1.4v flat. My temps are 33-35c on idle and 52-53c under load.

Is there a way to lower voltage slightly and compensate by adjusting something else?

Solution
That sounds like LLC "Load Line Control". It's overcompensating for Vdroop when under load.

Try lowering your LLC a notch or two. You may need to change your Vcore again once you get your voltage to stop jumping around. Hopefully your chip doesn't actually need 1.49 volts to stabilize, but you won't know until you get your voltage more consistent. (It will always vary some though.)

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
That sounds like LLC "Load Line Control". It's overcompensating for Vdroop when under load.

Try lowering your LLC a notch or two. You may need to change your Vcore again once you get your voltage to stop jumping around. Hopefully your chip doesn't actually need 1.49 volts to stabilize, but you won't know until you get your voltage more consistent. (It will always vary some though.)

Solution

gman94

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012

Edit: I saw the the CPU LLC description and it said have it enabled for AM3 and I did that and now it is not fluctuating voltage at all! Stays at what I set it to in BIOS and stays there.