fructinhit

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2007
If I'm getting 2 gigs of memory (2x1gb) that is DDR2 800, would I see a large difference with a 4-4-4 timing from a 5-5-5, or is it not that big of an issue? I'm tempted to buy some g.skill memory with the 5-5-5 timings, but am wondering if I should definitely go for a 4-4-4 pair no matter what.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
With Intel chips the differance is so small. For overclocking those G.Skill 6400 CL4 HZ's are awesome, and with those G.Skill's I've seen a 380MHz overclock on those 6400 HZ's. They only cost 124.99 at NewEgg.

samsayit

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
There IS a difference - but you will probably not feel it.
But there IS, no doubt about it - especially the first number which is the CAS Latency is very important since it is the latency (measured in clock cycles) for all read/write access to memory banks which is done all the time.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
But there IS, no doubt about it - especially the first number which is the CAS Latency is very important since it is the latency (measured in clock cycles) for all read/write access to memory banks which is done all the time.

The differance is WAY too small to notice in almost any program. In the real world where I live you can't notice a diff, it matters most with AMD proceesers. Your reading too much into it, go with real world differance's.

samsayit

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007

The differance is WAY too small to notice in almost any program. In the real world where I live you can't notice a diff, it matters most with AMD proceesers. Your reading too much into it, go with real world differance's.

That's kind of what I said - that there is a difference however one is not likely to notice it.