4.7 GHZ for 6700k, safe Voltage?

Agent Apple

Commendable
Jan 16, 2017
Hello, I recently overclock my skylake i7 to 4.7 ghz

The voltage and temp are in the picture.

What do you think of the voltage and temp?

Is the voltage ok for everyday use?

I am using the kraken x61 to cool the 6700k and the voltage is in adaptive mode.

Thanks

Picture

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Probably a little high. You'll most see 1.3 - 1.4 as the max voltage for Skylake, and it depends on your cooling solution.
You're pushing a little above 1.4V.

Temps though, you're looking good if that's over a period of time stress testing & not just a few minutes?

Agent Apple

Commendable
Jan 16, 2017

The temp never get above 70C after 30 min RealBench.

Some people in this forum set the votage to 1.45v some even set to 1.5v

I am getting different answer from different forum so I am a bit wondering.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Sorry, re-reading my post and it's not very clear.

What I meant was "you'll mostly see 1.3 or 1.4V noted as the max voltage you should use for Skylake", but I don't believe there is a definitive 'rule' set out by Intel.

The motherboard used, the cooling solution used & the resulting temps are the only real guide you have - and keeping those 'safe' is the goal (<70'C is ideal).

30mins in RealBench seems a little short for me personally - I wouldn't quantify <70'C as your temps unless you've gone a few hours stressing it*.

*Again though, different people will have different opinions on that.

Pulssqt

Reputable
Oct 21, 2014
Alot of people consider 1.4v to be safe, but i wouldnt use more than 1.4v for 24/7 usage.
In a lot of guides you will see that they recommend 1.3-1.4v.

Here is a c/p about VID voltage reading.

''VID is the voltage the processor requests. Generally it is not a useful reading in HWinfo. Vcore when read in real-time in a tool like HWinfo is a measurement of the voltage actually given. When you put in 1.3v into core voltage in the BIOS, maybe only 1.25v is given to the cores under load. This discrepancy is called Vdroop. To counteract that you can simply raise the voltage you entered or you can use Load Line Calibration or LLC. This setting impacts the real-time Vcore reading and increases it. Voltage delivered can have very quick drops, so quickly that specialized gear is required to detect it. LLC helps counteract that.''

Agent Apple

Commendable
Jan 16, 2017

So CPU Vcore is the actual voltage that the cpu get?
and the 1.4v limit for skylake that most people talk about is the Vcore?

I was looking at the VID the whole time :D

Agent Apple

Commendable
Jan 16, 2017

I think I found the problem. The problem was because of vdroop. I noticed that the stability test always fail at H.264 Video Encoding step (RealBench). The vCore when it is at the video encoding step was lower that the vCore that I set in the bios. So I think it failed because of vdroop. So I went to my bios and looked for LLC setting but unfortunately, my motherboard doesn't have LLC, so I used Adaptive + Offset mode for the vcore setting instead of Adaptive mode.

For the vCore, I put 1.350v
For the offset, I put +0.03v

It would give roughly about 1.38v max
As of the time I am writing this, the test has been running for 42 min without crashing. The voltage at the encoding step is 1.350v, which I what I put for the vcore in bios (thanks to the offset). However, when it is at the Image editing step, the vCore get up to 1.416v then quickly drop to 1.392v (because of the offset or other reasons).

I have no idea why it is higher than 1.38v

For the Image Editing step, I don't think it need 1.392v to be stable, and I think my 6700k would be stable at 4.7ghz if the voltage stay 1.35v through out the test. But vdroop happen, and my motherboard doesn't have LLC so I guess I have to accept it.

Picture here: HERE

Sorry for my bad English :D

53min of testing, max temp is 74C.

BTW, the maximum VID is at 1.425 V. I don't know if that matter at all :D

Agent Apple

Commendable
Jan 16, 2017

I am using the msi z170a pc mate.