[SOLVED] 4+8 can be flex mode on amd apu?

Sep 28, 2020
Hi,
I have Ryzen 3 2200G using with Apu and 8 Gb 2666 Mhz single stick ram. I want to upgrade my memory cap and i want to buy 4 gb more ram with same brand, cl, model number etc. The issue is "Can it be effect my fps or performance" because for example if ı can get 50 fps with single stick. Can i get 60-70 fps with flex mode or it will stays on 50 fps and dont effect my performance?

English is not my mother language sorry for that. İ hope you understand my question.

Solution
Sorry ı have 2666mhz crucial. Last question is my 2666Mhz Cl19 crucial can work with dual channel when ı overclock my SK Hynix CL17 2400 Mhz to 2666mhz? If it works, will both work as CL19?
Can ı overclock SK Hynix 2400 to 2666mhz without changing voltage etc? And can they work with no issues?
I'm sorry if I couldn't understand you and asked the same question again. My English is not very good
Dual channel just means you have a module installed in memory slots that correspond to each channel. So if your motherboard has two ram slots both of them are different channels, A and B. If you have four slots it's A1/A2 B1/B2. You would normally install the modules in A2/B2 or whatever the manual stats as the recommended slot...
Hi,
I have Ryzen 3 2200G using with Apu and 8 Gb 2666 Mhz single stick ram. I want to upgrade my memory cap and i want to buy 4 gb more ram with same brand, cl, model number etc. The issue is "Can it be effect my fps or performance" because for example if ı can get 50 fps with single stick. Can i get 60-70 fps with flex mode or it will stays on 50 fps and dont effect my performance?

English is not my mother language sorry for that. İ hope you understand my question.
Adding another module for dual channel mode can increase your fps in many games and make the system a little more responsive. I'm just wondering why you're not looking to buy another 8GB module? Is it really that much more expensive for you to get a second 8GB module with the same specs?

Currently with your single 8GB module you are running your ram in single channel mode. Dual channel requires two modules. If you get a 4GB module for a total of 12GB, you will only have dual channel mode up to 8GB used system ram. If you use more than 8GB of ram, the system will drop to single channel mode, negating the reason for your upgrade.

Windows will happily eat up that extra ram and you may often be over 8GB when playing play games because the system is sharing system ram as vram for the APU.

Reactions: Tahmesa23
Sep 28, 2020
In other countries 4 gb can be 20$ and 8 gb $30 ( ı dont know the prices) but i live in turkey and maybe you know our economy lol ( 1$ = 7.70 TRY ) so 4 gb ram is 150 TRY in turkey and 8 gb ram is three times expensive than 4 gb. So ı cant buy 8 gb Ram because of prices. We have taxes that double the prices. Thanks to the government. My only option is 4 gb ram. Btw
is there a method to not use more than 8gb ram?

In other countries 4 gb can be 20$ and 8 gb $30 ( ı dont know the prices) but i live in turkey and maybe you know our economy lol ( 1$ = 7.70 TRY ) so 4 gb ram is 150 TRY in turkey and 8 gb ram is three times expensive than 4 gb. So ı cant buy 8 gb Ram because of prices. We have taxes that double the prices. Thanks to the government. My only option is 4 gb ram. Btw
is there a method to not use more than 8gb ram?
There isn't much you can do in this situation. Adding 4GB instead of 8GB won't change much other than giving you dual channel up to 8GB. I would look at what else is available in 8GB. Buy a different brand or a module with lower or higher speed and timings. Sell your 8GB module and put that money into a 2x4GB kit if you don't actually need more than 8GB.

If you get a slower module, the difference between 2400 and 2666 is only going to be around 5-7fps in most games. You could probably overclock most available 2133-2400 modules up to 2666-2933 without issue. You could probably even reach 2933 with your current module.

You could just buy the 4GB and deal with the possibility of losing performance every time you play games. Lower your game graphics options and limit your game resolution to 1366x768 as maximum. That might be enough to prevent the system dropping to single channel mode. You are already graphically limited by the APU, so you may not have a problem.

Sep 28, 2020
Can ı use 8 gb different brand or timing ram with dual channel? My friend has a Sk Hynix 8Gb Ram 2400Mhz and i think different Cl than my ram.
İ have crucial 8GB 2400Mhz CL19 ram. Can ı use th with dual channel and can ı overclock 2400mhz to 2666mhz?

Can ı use 8 gb different brand or timing ram with dual channel? My friend has a Sk Hynix 8Gb Ram 2400Mhz and i think different Cl than my ram.
İ have crucial 8GB 2400Mhz CL19 ram. Can ı use th with dual channel and can ı overclock 2400mhz to 2666mhz?
To run dual channel mode, you can mix modules from different brands, speeds, timings and capacity, but there is a chance they won't be compatible. You want the highest speed and lowest CL (cas latency) you can afford, because lower cas latency means you have a better chance of overclocking the ram to match or exceed your original 2666 module. Your orginal single module is 2666 right? You said you have Crucial 2400 CL19.

The best speed and timing you may get out of the 2400 CL19 module is 2666 CL16 or CL18. You should be able to run two modules at 2400 CL18.

Sep 28, 2020
Sorry ı have 2666mhz crucial. Last question is my 2666Mhz Cl19 crucial can work with dual channel when ı overclock my SK Hynix CL17 2400 Mhz to 2666mhz? If it works, will both work as CL19?
Can ı overclock SK Hynix 2400 to 2666mhz without changing voltage etc? And can they work with no issues?
I'm sorry if I couldn't understand you and asked the same question again. My English is not very good

Dual channel just means you have a module installed in memory slots that correspond to each channel. So if your motherboard has two ram slots both of them are different channels, A and B. If you have four slots it's A1/A2 B1/B2. You would normally install the modules in A2/B2 or whatever the manual stats as the recommended slot configuration. |CPU Socket| |A1|A2 |B1|B2|

Manually overclocking the modules is just a matter of setting the frequency from 2400 to 2666 and any timing/voltage settings. Right now your 2666 module is probably set to CL18 or CL20. 2x8GB 2666 CL18, even with two different modules, should only require 1.2v which is the default voltage.

Download and install memtest86 Free version to a usb thumb drive before you begin the next step. Leave the drive plugged in to access it after setting ram speed. https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

Start by installing the second module in A2 with the original in B2. Then access the motherboard bios with the the button stated in the motherboard manual. Set the frequency in the bios to 2666, cas latency (tCL) to 18 and leave the rest on automatic for now.

After you have finished with the memory settings press F10 to save and exit. The system will reboot and should start booting memtest86 from the USB drive. Let it go through the automatic test process and wait until it finishes at least a single full test pass. If the ram is stable, you will have 0 errors.

Solution