[SOLVED] 4-8 degrees Celsius for cpu and gpu- ok or what?

Kristomani

Reputable
Dec 12, 2019
Hi, I have a prosjekt involving a cooling block to my cpu and gpu, and then connect it to the cold water tap in the house. Unlimited access to water, so thatis not a problem.
Mobo is p8z77-V LE, cpu is I5-3570k (or I7-3770k), gpu is R9 290X Lighting (really noisy)
Is it possible? Can the prosessor in the gpu and cpu run to cold?
Other thoughts?

Solution
Well there is no harm in trying it out. I also like crazy PC projects just for fun. 😀 Once used an 80-litre aquarium as a reservoir for a custom water cooling loop. And built two separate PC's into one metallic suitcase.
Possible? Sure.
A good idea? Not a chance.
A processor/gpu can run too cold, but thats talking sub zero cooling, so thats not the issue here.
However, municipal or untreated water (well water) is going to absolutely destroy whatever blocks you are using through corrosion/microbial growth/other deposits.

If something ever happens to your water supply as well (which happens), your system is going to lose its cooling capability, another benefit of a closed loop system.

On top of all that, your components are so old that watercooling would just be a waste of money.

Reactions: CountMike

HWOC

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
I would also add that you would probably get some condensation on the blocks, which might end up running off as water drops onto your motherboard or graphics card, depending on other environmental conditions.

Kristomani

Reputable
Dec 12, 2019
Possible? Sure.
A good idea? Not a chance.
A processor/gpu can run too cold, but thats talking sub zero cooling, so thats not the issue here.
However, municipal or untreated water (well water) is going to absolutely destroy whatever blocks you are using through corrosion/microbial growth/other deposits.

If something ever happens to your water supply as well (which happens), your system is going to lose its cooling capability, another benefit of a closed loop system.

On top of all that, your components are so old that watercooling would just be a waste of money.
The water supply here is among the cleanest in the world, and on top of that it's sterilized trough filters and uv,.
Let's say I'll have all components for cooling and just want to have a go with it?

Kristomani

Reputable
Dec 12, 2019
I would also add that you would probably get some condensation on the blocks, which might end up running off as water drops onto your motherboard or graphics card, depending on other environmental conditions.

I have a solution for that: I have 100 pcs of silica gel bag that can go in to the cabinet, psu on outside of cabinet, with good ground and make cabinet air tight with plastic wrapping. Remember, this is just a project and mostly for fun. Maybe have a radiator inside to cool other components too.
Yeah, it's a crazy build, I know 👍

HWOC

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
Well there is no harm in trying it out. I also like crazy PC projects just for fun. 😀 Once used an 80-litre aquarium as a reservoir for a custom water cooling loop. And built two separate PC's into one metallic suitcase.

Reactions: Kristomani
Solution
The water supply here is among the cleanest in the world, and on top of that it's sterilized trough filters and uv,.
Let's say I'll have all components for cooling and just want to have a go with it?
"Cleanest in the world" still falls under impurities. Check your local regulation on contaminant and particulate matter acceptable ranges, your water is perfectly clean and safe when it comes to public heath, but for sensitive environments like PC cooling, not a chance.
You can even compare the water standards for public health vs those for the petroleum industry. Municipal water is not as "clean" as you are lead to believe.

TRENDING THREADS