4,8, or 16 GB of RAM for Window 7 64bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harunatsumi

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
I plan to build a new rig with windows 7 ultimate 64bit, core i7 870, and 64gb SSD as my main hardisk.

I was wondering what would be optimal amount of ram for my system.
Initially i plan to go with 8gb, but after i read this article.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/memory-module-upgrade,2264.html
I fee like maybe 8gb might be an overkill.

(my current 4gb vista 32 bit rig feel quite slow when i use msn vdo call and other program at the same time)
Should i go for 4gb, 8gb, or 16gb?

Solution
If you're like me and like to keep a bunch of apps running at the same time the extra memory will aslo benefit you as the OS won't have to swap to disk as often. I have Win7 x64 with 8 gig and I'm quite pleased with it. I originally had 4 gig in it and I've noticed it's a lot smoother switching between apps with the extra 4 gig.
If you're like me and like to keep a bunch of apps running at the same time the extra memory will aslo benefit you as the OS won't have to swap to disk as often. I have Win7 x64 with 8 gig and I'm quite pleased with it. I originally had 4 gig in it and I've noticed it's a lot smoother switching between apps with the extra 4 gig.

Solution

blink180heights

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
6gb will do as i have. Win 7 64bit requires 1gb just to run itself. You might have 1/2 gb just to run extra apps in the background like antivirus, antispyware, defragmenter, registry fixers, updaters.... so 2gb is enough to run the system with your apps in the background... you would want an extra 4gb to run games, burning software, music production, video editing and stuff. 6gb will do just fine... unless you plan on playing games and hearing music and burning software all at the same time, then go with 8gb.

Status
Not open for further replies.