Question 4 Beeps and black screen after the attemp of updating BIOS!

Sep 11, 2019
Hello,
First of all sorry if this is a repost but i couldn't solve my problem from any of the other posts. My experience with the technical part of pc's is below normal. I will start telling my issue from the beginning so you are completely informed about what iv'e done.
Today i decided to format my pc (by the way couldn't open bios). Went ahead made a bootable usb, the format was successfull in the end and then i had this finest idea.. Check if my motherboard needs a BIOS update so i can hopefully get into the BIOS!

So i downloaded the correct motherboard's model file for BIOS update then i went through some tutorials and i run the .exe file from my usb while i was still on my desktop. NEVER got into BIOS. PC restarted normally and then i had a black screen with only this message: "BIOS update is not yet completed please insert the usb pen drive". After the unsuccessful searching i tried to unplug/plug the usb on every port, nothing happens. So i will tell you the next procedure i followed in steps.

Restarted the PC. On boot i got the same message.
Removed the motherboard's battery and place it again after 10 minutes. On boot i had 3 short beeps with a black screen.
Removed the RAM's, cleaned them and put them back in correctly. This time on boot i have 4 short beeps with a black screen but i'm very possitive that the RAM's are placed corectly!
It just can't be the RAM or any of the parts! My desktop was running smoothly untill i went to update the god damn BIOS and fk up the whole system.. Now it's just beeping x4 only when i boot my pc. Nothing else. Screen stays black. Keyboard LED is on, mouse is dead.
Also in the past i could only enter BIOS by reseting the motherboard's battery, i could only enter bios on the first boot, if i was doing any restart then bios was gone again.

I NEED HELP. Any helpful answer is apreciated!

System (It's pretty old):
CPU: intel core i3 2100 3.1 ghz
Motherboard: MSI H61M-P21 (B3)
RAM: 4GB (2 slots x2 x2)
GRAPHICS: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 550 TI 1GB

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Make and model PSU? Wattage, age, condition?

Go to MSI's website and look for the applicable User Guide/Manual for your motherboard. The beep code meanings should be explained in the manual.

I also saw a note that there may be an extra beep for each installed USB device - just FYI.

Reference:

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=158223.0

[Side note: Your English is developing well. Do not ruin that effort by throwing in profanities. Profanities are not needed and against Forum rules. Thank you.]

Sep 11, 2019
Hello, thank you Ralston18 for your answer,

There are no usb devices plugged in anymore if thats what you mean. I'm not sure if you'll find it online cause i didn't so i'll give you the info of it instead of a link.
It's a [TURBO-X DR-8550BXT 550W 230V 50-60Hz].
Well.. The whole rig was given to me from a friend who oppened an internet caffe 5 years ago so the pc is hard used and at least 4 years old. I took it 6 months ago, and the only thing i installed was a new SSD. I had no problems at all even with normal gaming, it was running fast.. Untill now that this BIOS update failed and the whole system is dead.

I'm kinda hopeless now because i found a topic that they say if you interrupt a BIOS update you can say goodbye to your motherboard. Is that true? Because since it was not completed and i made all those restarts it means that i also interupted it. The only thing i didn't try yet is to clean the CMOS Jumper which i don't know where is it on my mobo and have no clue on how to reset that thing properly.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2019
Update: I started disconnecting all the parts one by one and booting it up on each part that was out. Beeps kept 4 short untill i left with just Motherboard and PSU. When i was powering it up the PSU fan was stopping after 5 seconds. (Already tried the method with a paper clip plugged into the green and a black wire of the PSU, fan didn't stop).

Could those 4 beeps be a CPU issue? Is it fixable on any way? (I don't have the option of testing different motherboard or parts). I need help to find what's the malfunctional part and replace it with a new one. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2019
HELP. I reconnected all the parts and now i have this wierd result which is launching me back to my very first issue. I have no idea what is going on or what to do...

Current status:
Boot, 1 small low pitch beep and then this came up:
j9m2Phb.jpg