[SOLVED] 4 beeps gt 730 wont display

thechrisgli

Prominent
Jan 15, 2019
I bought this secondhand gt 730 from a friend.

My 1st pc's specs:
mobo: asus p8h61 r2.0(No VGA female)
storage: kingston ssd 240 gb
cpu: i7-3770
ram: kingston 8gb 1333 DDR3

My 2nd pc's specs:
mobo: asus p8h61-m lx r2.0
storage: kingston ssd 240 gb
cpu: i3-3220
ram: kingston 4gb 1333 DDR3

On my 1st computer this is what happens when the gt 730 is plugged in. The computer will turn on then 1 long beep and 3 short beeps occurs. But when I used my 9500 gt it works just fine.

On my second computer this is what happens. There is no beeping but the gt 730 still has no display but if I plugged in the vga cable to the vga port there will be a display. I managed to get the gt 730 to display by disabling Launch CSM, but another problem occurs is that it cant put on my ssd

What I can I do to make it display on my i7 computer?

Solution
The problem with disabling the "Launch CSM" option in the i7 mobo using the 9500 gt is that after restarting the 9500 gt beeps then it will say the it reverted back to Enabling the Launch CSM because the 9500 gt doesn't support UEFI. How can I bypass this?

In the i3 mobo I did'nt deal with the launch csm reverting back to enable/on because I used the iGPU on that one. I can't do this in the i7 via iGPU because the mobo doesn't have a VGA port.
You can bypass the i7 issue by clicking save and exit then doing a hard power off of the computer once the BIOS exits. Then you will be able to remove the 9500GT and put the GT730 in the computer.

thechrisgli

Prominent
Jan 15, 2019
"One long and three short beeps" from speaker
An anomaly is detected in the graphic card. If the graphic card needs an extra power supply, please ensure the power supply can provide enough wattage.

My guess is the GT730 might be dead.

I don't think its dead because I managed to get it to display on my i3 computer by Disabling "Launch CSM" but the problem with that method is I cannot boot on my ssd. I managed to get it to display by plugging my 1st monitor to the iGPU and then disabing the "Launch CSM"

I don't think its dead because I managed to get it to display on my i3 computer by Disabling "Launch CSM" but the problem with that method is I cannot boot on my ssd. I managed to get it to display by plugging my 1st monitor to the iGPU and then disabing the "Launch CSM"
The other thing it might be is that your i7 system is set to use Legacy BIOS mode, hence why the 9500GT works, but the GT730 is requiring UEFI mode. That is why when you disable Launch CSM it works on the i3 system. The issue you will run into is if you use the 9500GT to set the i7 to disable Launch CSM, you will have to reinstall Windows to be able to boot. A storage device that was created with legacy BIOS won't boot when the BIOS is set to UEFI.

thechrisgli

Prominent
Jan 15, 2019
The other thing it might be is that your i7 system is set to use Legacy BIOS mode, hence why the 9500GT works, but the GT730 is requiring UEFI mode. That is why when you disable Launch CSM it works on the i3 system. The issue you will run into is if you use the 9500GT to set the i7 to disable Launch CSM, you will have to reinstall Windows to be able to boot. A storage device that was created with legacy BIOS won't boot when the BIOS is set to UEFI.

The problem with disabling the "Launch CSM" option in the i7 mobo using the 9500 gt is that after restarting the 9500 gt beeps then it will say the it reverted back to Enabling the Launch CSM because the 9500 gt doesn't support UEFI. How can I bypass this?

In the i3 mobo I did'nt deal with the launch csm reverting back to enable/on because I used the iGPU on that one. I can't do this in the i7 via iGPU because the mobo doesn't have a VGA port.

You can bypass the i7 issue by clicking save and exit then doing a hard power off of the computer once the BIOS exits. Then you will be able to remove the 9500GT and put the GT730 in the computer.

Solution

thechrisgli

Prominent
Jan 15, 2019

OMG Thank you so much. The hard reset worked!!!!!. I used this method yesterday but I was doing it the wrong way I was long pressing the power button on the computer to shut it off after changing the BIOS.

So I just need to reformat my drive and it will worked right?

Does this happen to all newer cards? If I buy a gtx 1060 or gtx 2060 will this also happen? or is this just an anomaly to a gt 730 and some cards?

Last edited:
OMG Thank you so much. The hard reset worked!!!!!. I used this method yesterday but I was doing it the wrong way I was long pressing the power button on the computer to shut it off after changing the BIOS.

So I just need to reformat my drive and it will worked right?

Does this happen to all newer cards? If I buy a gtx 1060 or gtx 2060 will this also happen? or is this just an anomaly to a gt 730 and some cards?
You will need to reinstall Windows on the drive to be able to boot. This shouldn't be an issue for newer cards. They can use UEFI or BIOS, however, I would run them with UEFI. The GT730 was a weird card in that it should have worked with both UEFI or BIOS but some of them only worked with UEFI.

thechrisgli

Prominent
Jan 15, 2019
You will need to reinstall Windows on the drive to be able to boot. This shouldn't be an issue for newer cards. They can use UEFI or BIOS, however, I would run them with UEFI. The GT730 was a weird card in that it should have worked with both UEFI or BIOS but some of them only worked with UEFI.

Do you know some cards that had the same problem like the gt 730, just asking so I can be aware not to buy them in the future, to avoid hassle.