4 exact same sticks of ram, only 2 run in dual, other 2 run in single channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

duyhx48

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2014
So I have 4 of these : https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231476

Ram

They are all identical but only slot 2 and 4 are running in Dual channel, 1 and 3 are in Single. How do I configure in such a way that they run dual channel in pairs ? They are running the same XMP profile

Stick 1
Stick 2
Stick 3
Stick 4

Here's my mainboard, it doesn't support quad-channel: https://www.amazon.com/ASRock-DDR3-Motherboards-Z97-PRO3/dp/B00KAZPZK0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471807921&sr=8-1&keywords=asrock+z97+pro+3

Solution
That tab isn't showing channels, its showing single or double sided memory sticks.

You want the memory tab to actually show if its running single or dual channel.

Its impossible for that board to run 1 channel as dual & the other as single .

Both channels will be one or the other.

Memory is guaranteed in the form sold. The form sold is a kit of two not four.

Any combinations you happen to come up with that differ from the form in which the memory was sold have no guarantee to be compatible together.

XMP profiles are also for the memory in the form it was sold and not in any other combinations you happen to make.

Workarounds for getting extra memory to work include:
Lower memory frequency
Relax DRAM timings
Increase DRAM voltage
Lower CPU multiplier

When adding extra memory you assume responsibility for all "Do It Yourself" compatibility testing since the memory has never been tested together and has no guarantee for such combinations.

duyhx48

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2014

It doesn't say anywhere that the mobo itself can run 4 sticks at quad channel, I understand it only runs dual channel in 2 pairs.

First I have been running 2 sticks at slot 2 and 4 dual channel for 2,3 years then I bought 1 more exactly same kit and installed it in slot 1 and 3 but new pair is running at single.

Since all 4 are the same it doesn't really matter if I switch position does it?

There is no reason as to why the board could not run in quad channel or two pairs of dual. That's why there's four DIMM slots and a memory limit of 32GB (if I recall correctly per your manual). The problem with adding RAM later is that there is no specific guarantee it's going to play nice even if it's the exact same timings or vendor. That's why it's always best, if possible, to buy a full quad channel kit if that's your intention from the start.

I'd check your BIOS settings just for the sake of doing so. Even though the other pair are running in single as opposed to dual, is this affecting you in some tremendous way or is this just something that's bugging you? The RAM is working though not as fully desired, yes?

I understand that and perhaps using "quad channel" isn't as applicable as it would sound. What most boards use is dual channel that can be run as two separate pairs which isn't truly quad channel despite there being four sticks. True "quad channel" is only available on Intel Core and Xeon as well as AMD Ryzen/Threadripper and Opteron platforms.

bananatiger

Honorable
Feb 3, 2017

Pls stop confusing the man. The asrock website clearly stated that it only supports dual channel. At least say it as "It can support 2 dual channel". I know youre trying to help but pls state your answer clearly and base it on facts not on your theory.

I think I've adequately covered that in the post I made prior to yours, bananatiger. How about keeping up rather than commenting on something made several hours ago that's already been clarified?

I also said in a post above that one about running two pairs of dual channel which is what he'd be doing. Come in, man. Catch up already.

bananatiger

Honorable
Feb 3, 2017

Well its because I did not scroll down and immediately commented after reading what you said earlier. To be honest I was triggered that your forcing us to believe that it supports quad channel because it has 4 dimm slots, I immediately googled and ask around if the board support quad channel even if I know it only supports dual channel just to be sure and clear my confusion. I know I offended you and was very upset, for that, IM very sorry it was not my intention.

That tab isn't showing channels, its showing single or double sided memory sticks.

You want the memory tab to actually show if its running single or dual channel.

Its impossible for that board to run 1 channel as dual & the other as single .

Both channels will be one or the other.

Solution
Exactly what Madmatt said. ^^^ You are looking at rank, not whether the system is running in dual or single channel mode. The fact that some of your ram is single rank, and some is dual rank means that your ram is not identical. That may or may not be a problem with them being compatible and working well together.

duyhx48

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2014

Right. Indeed I was looking at "rank". I assume under "Memory" tab, Channels says "Dual" that means my 4 sticks are running dual in pairs simultaneously ?

rgd1101

Don't

it either all dual channel or single channel, can't have 2 running at dual and 2 running a single.
it will show nothing, because it will not boot.

USAFRet

Titan

4 RAM slots does not automatically equal "quad channel".

From "page 15"
"This motherboard provides four 240-pin DDR3 (Double Data Rate 3) DIMM slots,
and supports Dual Channel Memory Technology. "

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS