Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
Basically got four 1 gb sticks in...My mobo reports it as 3.2 which I was expecting. Memtest can't accurately test the memory though but I have tested them in pairs and they're good sticks. Seems my motherboard doesn't support memory remapping (asus p5ad2 premium...It's discontinued).

overall what should I do?...Should I just run with the 4 sticks in?...I'm worried how this effects the dual channel since it's 3.2 megs...Does it equally split the memory 4 ways or is it a dual channel of 2 gigs and a dual channle of 1.2 gigs?...kinda worried since one ram is being restricted how it can handle the information..

Should I just run three sticks?...Kinda worried though since one set would be in dual channel and the third in single?..or would it default the entire system to single channel?..

overall problems....can't figure out which way to go.

kasperlindvig

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
Upgrade to 64 bit xp, problem solved. If not, then just leave it there. Your mb still supports dual channel, your 32 bit OS just only recognises 3.2 out of 4 Gigs. If you have any odd number of ram installed, your mb will default to single channel, so don't do that.

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
How would a 64 bit os react to a 32 bit processor though? I have a Pentium 540 (3.2 prescott). Also I can't run memtest while the four sticks are in...it keeps resetting to 0% on me....

I originally had four 512 sticks of 3-2-2-8 ddr2 memory that I purchased a few years back at an incredible 900 dollars (it was cream of the crop back then)...I rma'ed them since 2 sticks were busted and they gave me four 1 gb 4-4-4-12 modules that were 667 rated...my mobo supports 533 so it throttled it down and I can tighten the timings...right now testing 2 sticks at 3-3-3-8...going to get them as tight as possible..

But yea...With 4 sticks I can't test them...Is it safe to run 4 sticks when the computer only reports 3.2 megs?...Don't know how the memory allocation would work considering the large hole there. Also I have to tighten the timings as well...and since I can't test all 4 simultaneously in memtest....I don't know if testing each kit by themselves at let's say 3-3-3-8 stable would work with all four sticks in....

What do you think?

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
How would a 64 bit os react to a 32 bit processor though? I have a Pentium 540 (3.2 prescott). Also I can't run memtest while the four sticks are in...it keeps resetting to 0% on me....

I originally had four 512 sticks of 3-2-2-8 ddr2 memory that I purchased a few years back at an incredible 900 dollars (it was cream of the crop back then)...I rma'ed them since 2 sticks were busted and they gave me four 1 gb 4-4-4-12 modules that were 667 rated...my mobo supports 533 so it throttled it down and I can tighten the timings...right now testing 2 sticks at 3-3-3-8...going to get them as tight as possible..

But yea...With 4 sticks I can't test them...Is it safe to run 4 sticks when the computer only reports 3.2 megs?...Don't know how the memory allocation would work considering the large hole there. Also I have to tighten the timings as well...and since I can't test all 4 simultaneously in memtest....I don't know if testing each kit by themselves at let's say 3-3-3-8 stable would work with all four sticks in....

What do you think?

Hey! Ive got a 540 also!

I highly doubt that you can get your 540 to run a 64bit OS.

If windows works with the ram you installed then thats fine. Just curious, why do you need 4gigs of ram unless you are building a bleeding-edge rig, and that Prescott doesnt fit in with that.....

Try running Windows and see if its ok.

Oh, and are you trying to run Memtest in the BIOS or in Windows?

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
on boot obviously...have it burned from an iso. The thing is this rig is old..but one of the dual channel rams was bad so I rma'ed..they didn't have that ram anymore and offered to give me 4 gigs of this instead...so I took it...but yea...Overall upset a bit..Tried 3-3-3-8 timings and it passed on one test but got errors the second..I'mma run it tonight again...this time I'mma bring up the voltage from 1.9 spec to 2.0 and see if it can handle it.....but I don't know If I'm going to try all the sticks in....might just go about with 2 gigs...same amount I had before..just fewer slots filled..gotta figure out what to do.

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
on boot obviously...have it burned from an iso. The thing is this rig is old..but one of the dual channel rams was bad so I rma'ed..they didn't have that ram anymore and offered to give me 4 gigs of this instead...so I took it...but yea...Overall upset a bit..Tried 3-3-3-8 timings and it passed on one test but got errors the second..I'mma run it tonight again...this time I'mma bring up the voltage from 1.9 spec to 2.0 and see if it can handle it.....but I don't know If I'm going to try all the sticks in....might just go about with 2 gigs...same amount I had before..just fewer slots filled..gotta figure out what to do.

if it has errors its bad... simple as that...

try running each stick seperately for 45min each

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
well it had errors cause I brought the timings from 4-4-4-12 to 3-3-3-8....The memory is 667 but running at 533 since that's my max for my mobo. since it's clocking the ram down I can tighten the timings...At default it passes no problems what so ever...I'mma try 3-3-3-8 again but this time increasing the voltage from 1.9 to 2 to see if it can handle it...If it still fails going to go back to stock voltage but loosen the timings slightly....Trying to get timings as close as possible to my old ddr 2 modules...which were fantastic...DDR2 JUST came out when I got them by a month or two...and I got the best ram you could buy...had 3-2-2-8 timings...At the time..everything was 4 and up...it was fantastic...

Mondoman

Splendid
k and bdc, don't worry, your Pentium 540 is a 64-bit CPU. However, without the BIOS memory remapping feature, you probably won't be able to access all 4GB of RAM even under 64-bit Win, because the various hardware components will still be using up some addresses just under the 4GB mark. So, although you should be able to run 64-bit Win, there won't be any difference regarding how much RAM you can see/use.

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
k and bdc, don't worry, your Pentium 540 is a 64-bit CPU. However, without the BIOS memory remapping feature, you probably won't be able to access all 4GB of RAM even under 64-bit Win, because the various hardware components will still be using up some addresses just under the 4GB mark. So, although you should be able to run 64-bit Win, there won't be any difference regarding how much RAM you can see/use.

My Pentium 4 540 is a 32-bit CPU. No n00bish arguments here

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sspec=sl7j7

The 5x1 and 6xx series introduced 64bit. Also maybe the 5xxJ.

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
lol...god I can't believe I bought a prescott...::slaps forehead::...lol...

Thanks for the info guys...going to run the rig overnight on those timings and see if it can handle it ^.^.