4 gtx 690 gpu render farm with only a 1200w PSU ?

The derp cat

Reputable
Jan 24, 2015
Hello everybody,
I've just seen on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw3vwCBOjQ0
they built a gpu render farm with 4 gtx 690, support by only a 1200w corsair PSU @.@
Well, every gtx 690 has max power consumption at 300w, 4 of them reach 1200w already.
So, this render farm will never run at full power ?
I don't think i'm smarter than the pc builder on that video, i'm just curious about it.
Please share your thoughts, any thought will be greatly appreciated.

Solution
No you are right, by any reasonable calculation of power usage this is running the power supply past its rated limits and asking for trouble if trying to run 4 x GTX 690 cards on a 1200W power supply.
If this is with a 130W CPU and a standard system of this size, I would allow for 1390W power draw.
Not wanting to run a supply past 80% of its rating, I would suggest a power supply (or supplies) with a +12V rating of at least 1740W or 145A.
As a single supply, that is only possible on 240V mains.
More common would be to use two supplies and power say two graphics cards off the second supply.
No you are right, by any reasonable calculation of power usage this is running the power supply past its rated limits and asking for trouble if trying to run 4 x GTX 690 cards on a 1200W power supply.
If this is with a 130W CPU and a standard system of this size, I would allow for 1390W power draw.
Not wanting to run a supply past 80% of its rating, I would suggest a power supply (or supplies) with a +12V rating of at least 1740W or 145A.
As a single supply, that is only possible on 240V mains.
More common would be to use two supplies and power say two graphics cards off the second supply.

Solution

The derp cat

Reputable
Jan 24, 2015

Thank you all for the answers.
So it's possible ( and safer ) to use two supplies ? Mr VincentP please can you link me to some threads so i can read the configuration of that setup ?