[SOLVED] 4 intake fans and 1 exhaust

Muchacho45

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
Hi,

I have the fractal design define s case.

It comes with 2 fans standard, 1 on the front being intake which is 120mm I believe and 1 on the rear which is an exhaust, 140mm.

I have bought 3 additonal fans. Be quiet pure wings 120mm.

The store that built it up put 1 of the 3 on the front being intake, and 2 of them on the top being exhaust.

Problem is, in this case, if you put any fans at the top, the case fillings closers has the be removed, therefore the computer is very noisy and I want it to be sealed quiet.

So,

I am brining it back to them tomorrow. I thought of just moving 1 to the front, making it 3 at the front, and 1 to the bottom - which is intake. A fan at the bottom seems stupid to me but i'd prefer it being from the side - which then again the case will be open and I will hear it.

Is 4 intakes and 1 exhaust makes it ok? Or I should just drop down 1 fan and make it 3 at the front and 1 exhuast?

Thank you

Solution
3 intakes, 1 exhaust is perfectly fine with a sealed top case. It's when there's open top exhaust vents you run into issues as the rear exhaust now has a free and available intake source to pull from. Adding a 4th intake on the bottom won't hurt, and noise shouldn't be an issue as that amount of intake cfm will enable much lower rpm on the fans, you could probably run 400rpm constant bottom and 500rpm fronts, even under stress only raising that to 600rpm and have plenty of air at almost silent operation.

Muchacho45

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
you'll see next to no difference probably, maybe a bit more noise, and you'll have another filter to clean.
I already bought it, and I am not sure they will take it back even If bring them back the original box.. It costed me 10 bucks....I do think that a fan at the bottom is stupid (will it really do something?)...It wont do any harm though.. yeah?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
3 intakes, 1 exhaust is perfectly fine with a sealed top case. It's when there's open top exhaust vents you run into issues as the rear exhaust now has a free and available intake source to pull from. Adding a 4th intake on the bottom won't hurt, and noise shouldn't be an issue as that amount of intake cfm will enable much lower rpm on the fans, you could probably run 400rpm constant bottom and 500rpm fronts, even under stress only raising that to 600rpm and have plenty of air at almost silent operation.

Reactions: DMAN999
Solution
Aug 3, 2019
You should try to balance your intake and exhaust fans for optimal airflow, but it really doesn't make a HUGE difference if you're okay with that. Once I get some more fans my pc will have 3 in and 3 out so... whatever you like to do should be fine.