Computer Specs:
MOB: Gigabyte GA-EP43T-S3L (rev. 1.3)
Cpu: Core 2 Quad Q9400 Quad Core 2.66Ghz
Ram: 16GB Samsung
System disk: Samsung 860Evo 500GB SSD
Game Disk: 1.5TB HDD
Ethernet
GPU: Zotac 1050Ti 4GB V-Ram
PSU: Raidmax Cobrapower 500W 80+ Bronze Cert.

I have been having these problems for about a month now, the only thing i remember changing that could affect the GPU in this way is that i have gotten a 2nd monitor. My main monitor is an Vizeo TV, never had any problems with it before, my 2nd monitor is a Emachines monitor i got from a relative for free. The only port that works on the monitor is the VGA and because the card doesn't have a VGA i bought an active DVI to VGA adapter, most likely a 10-20$ generic adapter from newegg. I have never had these problems before the 2nd monitor.

I always have my task manager open in the performance tab with summary view on just to see if any of my games overload any of my components or just to see if anything happens during an lag spike or anything.

When this crash happens i have noticed that the game must take up more than 30% GPU usage for it to crash at any point, games like Factorio and 2D games don't crash, not enough GPU usage. when it crashes the whole computer locks up for 2 or 3 secs then the game just crashes outright or will display a graphics driver or related crash notification. Then i look at the task manager and it shows that the GPU spikes to 100% and goes down to 0%, some games miraculously don't crash and seem to reload their graphics engine and have very low frames and have graphics distortions. One time this happened and once i paused the game the GPU usage ramps up to 70% but once i unpause the game it goes down to 5% with 1-2 FPS and distortions.

I had an idea of connecting my old graphics card and using it separately for my 2nd monitor but my MOB doesn't have another PCI slot for a GPU.

I have clean installed the newest graphics driver for my card with GeForce and it has had no effect.

I have not looked very long but i have not found any similar problems searching on google or Toms hardware.

Many Thanks, Quinn

PSU: Raidmax Cobrapower 500W 80+ Bronze Cert

This might be the culprit, IMO. That's very low end TIER PSU brand. I would surely avoid using PSU to power up any GAMING RIG. Not recommended, because I doubt the quality/efficiency of this RAIDMAX unit. Not a very trustworthy brand.

Even though your GPU might not be requiring an additional 6–8-pin PCI-e cable, I still suspect your power supply unit at fault here.

Last edited:
Reactions: AllanGH

sentry_gunner_531

Commendable
Dec 2, 2017
This might be the culprit, IMO. That's very low end TIER PSU brand. I would surely avoid using PSU to power up any GAMING RIG. Not recommended, because I doubt the quality/efficiency of this RAIDMAX unit. Not a very trustworthy brand.

Even though your GPU might not be requiring an additional 6–8-pin PCI-e cable, I still suspect your power supply unit at fault here.
would it be safe to upgrade to a 600W or will a 500W be fine for my system, when i go to online PSU calculators it says around 400W but i am not the most knowledgeable or experienced when it comes to computer building

And what brand would you recommend, Themaltake, Corsair, EVGA? I guess most big companies would be better

would it be safe to upgrade to a 600W or will a 500W be fine for my system,

That actually depends on the system. I think any high quality 450-500 Watts should be more than enough, based on your current PC. It's still on the higher side, at least based on your system. Your current GTX 1050 Ti GPU also has a max TDP of 75 Watts, so you are easily covered. Only buy the 600W unit, if you have plans to upgrade to some next-gen High-end CPU and GPU, in near future.

Because, there might be some extra headroom left, just in case you want to add more components. But for now, look for a lower Wattage high-quality PSU.

sentry_gunner_531

Commendable
Dec 2, 2017
the 500W was enough for my needs after using a psu calculator so i assumed that a 600W would run at a lower load with less stress

i dont believe that this is a psu issue, even if this isnt the best psu, it shouldn't be malfunctioning right out of the box

Dreamevil55

Honorable
May 4, 2016
Well, it is not your PSU, as changing it didn't do anything. YOur first PSU was pretty good enough to power a 1050 Ti, a no name atx psu could do that. You are not getting any graphical issues or blue screen so it's not your graphics card either.

How are the CPU temps on load ? And is the GPU driver installed on the SSD or HDD ? Use DDU and try an older driver version to see if the problem persists.

sentry_gunner_531

Commendable
Dec 2, 2017
i have an Excessive CPU cooler, it doesn't reach overs 60C when running a extended synthetic load

as for my graphics card, i have a custom fan curve that keeps the temp around 54C max as well but that is a stock cooler
no overclocking was done except stock OC, i have tried under clocking the card but to no results

i have a Samsung 860 Evo brand new from newegg 500Gb
1.5Tb hard disk for games,

i see no spikes on Task Manager when freezing happens

sentry_gunner_531

Commendable
Dec 2, 2017
either the crashes just stopped or DDU did the trick

halo wars definitive edition used to crash easily within 5 mins of starting a game and i have been playing for about 15 mins now

i didn't even use a old driver

sentry_gunner_531

Commendable
Dec 2, 2017