Ludacris Speed

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
Hello, I installed 4 OCZ Agility 2 in raid 0 on a gigabyte X58A-UD3R Intel board in ahci enabled. I am only getting 635mb/sec I should be closer to 1000mb/sec shouldn't I? I did all the necessary tweeks offered for better ssd performance. I think the bios may be limiting performance thinking there are platter drives and not ssd's. Can any one help?
Thanks
Ludacris speed!

mgrzTX

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure on my answers here.

1) SSDs in RAID 0 don't guarantee the scalable performance increase associated w/ RAID 0 and HDDs.
2) At 635 mb/sec if you're using your onboard RAID controller, there's a good chance you've saturated the possible data rates of your controller.
3) What could you possibly be doing that you would even need anywhere near 635 mb/sec?

Ludacris Speed

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
Thanks For your reply. You confirmed what I was thinking. my motherboards limitations. I have 6 3gig sata 2 ports These only support platter speeds at about 150mb per port. If there is something I am overlooking in the bios I sure would appreciate the help. I knew I would be limited but not as much as this. I went with 4 drives simply because they were to small. I really don't need the speed but I handle large video files and do some cad/cam. I really wanted something that no one else has. I think I'll have to upgrade to an Aureca controller card to get close to 1000mb/sec Till then I am quite happy with the performance I am averaging 650mb write and 630 read. It's consistant all day long. I can't stress what a difference these ssd make.It's Ludacris!!!

Quote from Spaceballs The Movie!

mgrzTX

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
Yea, I personally don't have any ideas other than a dedicated controller card that could increase the read and write speeds. Motherboard RAID controllers are usually lackluster when it comes to trying to increase performance.

And yea, SSDs rock!