[SOLVED] 4 pin burnt

May 23, 2019
Hello.About 15 minutes ago I started smelling something burnt but I didn't know what it was.
Suddenly my PC completely shut down,I opened it and saw the psu extesion cable wich powers my cpu was completely toast as well as one pin from the psu cable connected to said extension.
I took ot out and i tried turning on the pc but it only starts up for a second and then it shuts down.
I wanted to ask if the problem is only with the power supply or of my whole rig if pretty much dead.

View: https://m.imgur.com/gallery/ipZKfgk

my specs:
mobo: asus h81mk
psu: some 400w superflower
nvidia gtx750ti
8gb ram
i5 4590 with segotep halo watercooling

Last edited:
Solution
Even if there's some scorching/burning of the plastic on the motherboard's side of the connector, the board might still be good. I got a dead PC from someone, and saw that nearly the same thing had happened, although the wiring LOOKED like it was still intact, just burnt.

Replaced the power supply with a better (and higher power) unit, and problem solved. System worked fine from then on out.

You may be safe in that a new power supply could solve the problem - I wouldn't guarantee that, but it couldn't hurt to try.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Even if there's some scorching/burning of the plastic on the motherboard's side of the connector, the board might still be good. I got a dead PC from someone, and saw that nearly the same thing had happened, although the wiring LOOKED like it was still intact, just burnt.

Replaced the power supply with a better (and higher power) unit, and problem solved. System worked fine from then on out.

You may be safe in that a new power supply could solve the problem - I wouldn't guarantee that, but it couldn't hurt to try.

Reactions: hammer98
Solution
May 23, 2019
You need to be very specific about the make and model of your PSU as well as it's age. Parse on pics of the affected end on the motherboard.
I tried connecting the psu directly into the cpu and it powered without a problem.I think I will replace the power supply and start from there.It looks like the extension cable was faulty.

May 23, 2019
Are the corresponding pins on the board burnt as well?
I would say, more likely than not, its just the PSU thats dead.
There is still a fairly good chance of the motherboard being damaged as well, but its not for certain.
The pins on the board are perfectly fine,only the extension cable and the psu cable were affected.

May 23, 2019
I got a new and better psu but I got another problem,whenever i launch a game,after 10-15 minutes my monitor turns itself off out of the blue,any suggestions?

I got a new and better psu but I got another problem,whenever i launch a game,after 10-15 minutes my monitor turns itself off out of the blue,any suggestions?
You should name and shame the place you got that extension from so we know what/where to avoid. Help the community!

You need to list which monitor you have and what cable you are using? Hdmi/DP/Dvi/ - also change cable for another one and also change cable entirely for instance if your monitor does both hdmi and dp and you are using the inferior hdmi go DP!

May 23, 2019
You should name and shame the place you got that extension from so we know what/where to avoid. Help the community!

You need to list which monitor you have and what cable you are using? Hdmi/DP/Dvi/ - also change cable for another one and also change cable entirely for instance if your monitor does both hdmi and dp and you are using the inferior hdmi go DP!

The extension I used was a cable from delock I think,i got it in a small computer parts store near me.Fortunately I don't need one anymore because the new psu has long enough cables to reach the motherboard.

The monitor i'm using is a Lenovo Thinkvision Lt2323p with vga.Everything is fine until I launch a game and play for a few minutes,after that it enters power saving mode ,the pc is still running and the audio is fine.

I tried reconnecting the vga cable,the power options were already on high performance and screen saver and sleep timers are set to "never".
I will try connecting with a hdmi cable tomorrow,but i never had these issues before the whole cable burn and psu change.

Last edited: