Question 4 Pin Case Fan connector on motherboard is broken, shuts down new PC while plugged in

Dec 11, 2019
The 4 pin case fan connector, or RGB LED Header, on my new Gigabyte B450M DS3H motherboard, is what I found to be the source behind the problem that the entire PC would not turn. I could not find any more of these Headers. I unplugged this, and the fans still run at full speed being powered by the PSU, and everything is working as it should, although I am worried about this flaw in my mobo. Should I go through the hassle of returning it and getting a new mobo? Will I be able to fix this, and how? Is there another way to control fan speeds and to add RGB light strips, or is this even how you control the fan speeds in the first place?

Overall, I am confused about this and don't know why this Header is completely shutting down my PC when plugged in, and all responses would be great.

Thank you

The 4 pin case fan connector, or RGB LED Header, on my new Gigabyte B450M DS3H motherboard, is what I found to be the source behind the problem that the entire PC would not turn. I could not find any more of these Headers. I unplugged this, and the fans still run at full speed being powered by the PSU, and everything is working as it should, although I am worried about this flaw in my mobo. Should I go through the hassle of returning it and getting a new mobo? Will I be able to fix this, and how? Is there another way to control fan speeds and to add RGB light strips, or is this even how you control the fan speeds in the first place?

Overall, I am confused about this and don't know why this Header is completely shutting down my PC when plugged in, and all responses would be great.

Thank you
Are you sure you are plugging right plugs in right places ? Fan controller and RGB light controllers are no interchangeable.

Dec 11, 2019
Are you sure you are plugging right plugs in right places ? Fan controller and RGB light controllers are no interchangeable.
I’ll check. I didn’t see another fan header, but I’ll tell you if I can find somewhere to plug it in. That is probably the problem, but I also suspect that there might be a faulty cable from the psu, but it comes with another fan cable so I will try some stuff out and see what works and what doesn’t. Will I be able to use rgb light strips without the rgb header working?

Dec 11, 2019

Thank you
Also I messed up. I am using the System Fan 1 Header, it just has the RGB Fan Header next to it and I got confused. So, answering my own question, I do think I’ll be able to use RGB light strips, it’s just whether or not I’ll be able to control fan speed. But is there any way to fix this problem, or should I just send it back?

Also I messed up. I am using the System Fan 1 Header, it just has the RGB Fan Header next to it and I got confused. So, answering my own question, I do think I’ll be able to use RGB light strips, it’s just whether or not I’ll be able to control fan speed. But is there any way to fix this problem, or should I just send it back?
I've noticed you were mentioning "(fan) being powered by the PSU" I hope you didn't use it at same time as plugging same fan to MB too. It's one (4 pin) or the other (PSU), never but never both !!!