[SOLVED] 4 pin fans...

Jul 8, 2020
i bought a 4pin rgb fan.... i plugged into 4pin on mb the lights work but the fan dont...theres another 4pin wire coming from fan...where do i hook that up....or does the fan dont work i have a b365 pro4 mb

Solution
The fan is a fan. The lights are lights. You can have a pc fan with no lights (that's a 40+ year old design right there!) or a light with no fan (That's been around since 1879!).

They are not the same thing, they get powered seperately, controlled seperately. Only the old LED single non-changable color fans were powered from the same source.

As is usual with upgrades to new-fangled contraptions, they got a lot more complicated.

Eh, progress....
The RGB connector connects to the RGB header. The PWM connector needs to be connected to one of the system fan headers, usually labeled CHA_FAN (1, 2, 3 etc.) or SYS_FAN (1, 2, 3, etc.)

There are THREE CHA_FAN headers on your motherboard. Two of them are next to the addressable RGB headers and one is next to the CPU_OPT header.

Reactions: Karadjgne

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The fan is a fan. The lights are lights. You can have a pc fan with no lights (that's a 40+ year old design right there!) or a light with no fan (That's been around since 1879!).

They are not the same thing, they get powered seperately, controlled seperately. Only the old LED single non-changable color fans were powered from the same source.

As is usual with upgrades to new-fangled contraptions, they got a lot more complicated.

Eh, progress....

Solution
Jul 8, 2020
good info darkbreaze.... im 68 an not to techy.. just tryin to pimp my rig,,,,,,bought strip lights,,,no prob,, an a fanrgb grill... cool... but that rgb fan i was lost ur cool...