[SOLVED] 4 pin header 3 pin ledstrip

Jan 24, 2019
I bought a ledstrip which is adressable and only has 3 pins. Is there anyway I can connect the ledstrip to the 4 pin rgb header on my motherboard? I have an asus rog strix b360-f motherboard.

Solution
Sorry, no. There are two RGB lighting system designs used widely in computer cases these days, and they are NOT compatible with each other. Your mobo has the simpler system called just plain RGB. Its header has 4 pins to provide a common +12 VDC supply and three individual Ground lines for the three LED colours in a strip. Your lighting strip is the more complex type called Addressable RGB or ADDR RGB or ARGB with three connections to it - Ground and +5 VDC supply, and a Control Line. There is no way to convert or adapt one type to another.

You can buy separate controllers for ADDR RGB lighting systems, but it MUST be for the ADDR RGB type. The simpler ones are small boxes with a cable connection (or sometimes a separate remote control...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Sorry, no. There are two RGB lighting system designs used widely in computer cases these days, and they are NOT compatible with each other. Your mobo has the simpler system called just plain RGB. Its header has 4 pins to provide a common +12 VDC supply and three individual Ground lines for the three LED colours in a strip. Your lighting strip is the more complex type called Addressable RGB or ADDR RGB or ARGB with three connections to it - Ground and +5 VDC supply, and a Control Line. There is no way to convert or adapt one type to another.

You can buy separate controllers for ADDR RGB lighting systems, but it MUST be for the ADDR RGB type. The simpler ones are small boxes with a cable connection (or sometimes a separate remote control box) to a set of manual buttons that allow you to select the display type, the speed of the effects, etc. The more advanced ones are boxes that use a cable connection to a mobo USB2 header for communication with the mobo. Then you download and install a software utility from the controller's maker, and use that tool to control the lighting effects. If you want, post back here exactly which ADDR RGB light strip you got and we may be able to suggest a controller for that.

The lighting effects available with your ADDR RGB lighting strip are more complex than one can achieve with a plain RGB system.

Solution