4 pin peripheral connectors dont fit,....

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericdude88

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
Ok i just got a TR2 600w psu(95 bucks) from thermaltake from bestbuy, and i removed the old PSU and all, but the new one's 4 pin peripheral connectors dont fit with the plugs of the HDD and fan on my pc...wtf? They're supposed to fit but dont go in no matter how hard i try...

Oh yeah and also, just to clarify, the plugs look like they should fit. There's 4 pins sticking out from the receiving end on the fan, and 4 holes about same side on connector from my PSU. The powersupply that i took out had the EXACT same plug on the exact same receiving end plug on the fan. Now even the one on the PSU i just took out doesn't fit anymore...did the 4 pins get bent or something? such cheap crap this is...looks so bendable

Solution
Yes, those molex connectors sometimes bend and you can't fit them together. They shouldn't, but they do.

It's not easy to get the 4 pins to line up, but here's some things I've done that worked:

- Of course, try to straighten all 8 pins.
- widen the female pins by shoving something appropriate into them.
- Trim away some of the plastic on one of the connectors, likely the case fan cuz you want to return the psu. This can let you start connecting the two plugs, and manipulate the bent pins until they line up so you can complete the connection.

As for the HD, see davcon's comment.

ericdude88

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011

Im swapping out a Logysis 480W psu. Also i know its highway robbery, but im only buying it to test if the rest of my computer components still work (after frying my PSU). I will return it right after i find out, no matter the results (Bestbuy lets me return 30 days). Only reason why i bought it at ripoff price .

All right that's fine, but what mobo are you trying to connect too?

ericdude88

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011

Gigabyte m68mt-s2. I think the fan im trying to connect to isn't a part of the mobo though ( isee no wire connecting them). As for the brand of the fan its nameless :??:

If the hdd is IDE your SOL that board is full sata.
Not sure about the fan you speak of.
As long as it isn't the cpu fan you're good.
You don't need an hdd to post to bios anyways.

Yes, those molex connectors sometimes bend and you can't fit them together. They shouldn't, but they do.

It's not easy to get the 4 pins to line up, but here's some things I've done that worked:

- Of course, try to straighten all 8 pins.
- widen the female pins by shoving something appropriate into them.
- Trim away some of the plastic on one of the connectors, likely the case fan cuz you want to return the psu. This can let you start connecting the two plugs, and manipulate the bent pins until they line up so you can complete the connection.

As for the HD, see davcon's comment.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.