[SOLVED] 4 pin PSU cable in 12v 8 pin motherboard input?

xpLoaDeD

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
Hello!

Ive recently bought a new LGA1200 platform:

Intel I3 10100 with video
ASUS PRIME H410M-E
Dual kingston hyper x fury 8gb 2666mhz DDR4 RAM

I was planning on powering all up with an old OCZ PSU i had for spare but it only has a 4 pin power cable for the 12 v CPU and the motherboard has a 8 pin to fill.
Would i be fine with it or i shouldnt risk it and go buy a new PSU?

I will be running everything stock with the stock intel fan, its a office/work PC with really low requirements.

thanks!

EDIT: PSU exact model is : OCZ500SXS

Solution
It doesn't work with only one 4 pin connected.

That psu is an old groupregulated unit and because of age and low quality it's unreliable. Don't use a 13 year old low quality unit!

xpLoaDeD

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
It's not a good unit.
Do you have a link to the shop?

Third world country....

If i could i will be buying Seasonic , Corsair CX or else.

i can get a BE QUIET 500W U9 PLUS BRONZE for 40% price increase over the Gigabyte but i wont be using so much watts...

Third world country....

If i could i will be buying Seasonic , Corsair CX or else.

i can get a BE QUIET 500W U9 PLUS BRONZE for 40% price increase over the Gigabyte but i wont be using so much watts...
The older Be Quiet! U9 might be a little better than the Gigabyte but not worth a 40% premium by a long shot. The P450B is not a good model. You should keep looking. If you're going to pay more it may as well be a really good model.

xpLoaDeD

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
The older Be Quiet! U9 might be a little better than the Gigabyte but not worth a 40% premium by a long shot. The P450B is not a good model. You should keep looking. If you're going to pay more it may as well be a really good model.

i can get EVGA 500W2 for the same price as the BeQuiet!

System cant be over 120w. Im not running any video card. Why wouldnt the P450B be enough? Im reading good positive reviews on Newegg and Amazon....

i can get EVGA 500W2 for the same price as the BeQuiet!

System cant be over 120w. Im not running any video card. Why wouldnt the P450B be enough? Im reading good positive reviews on Newegg and Amazon....
Nope. Another bad model. Have you used the tier list here? Some people don't like it but you can check models using it. As long as they are tier 'C' or higher you should be ok. Tiers 'A' and 'B' are obviously better models costing more.

xpLoaDeD

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
Nope. Another bad model. Have you used the tier list here? Some people don't like it but you can check models using it. As long as they are tier 'C' or higher you should be ok. Tiers 'A' and 'B' are obviously better models costing more.

Im afraid i cant get those PSU where i live without paying an INSANE amount of money for them. But i will keep looking.

thanks!

xpLoaDeD

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
I can get a Corsair VS500w white for about the same.

I can get:

listed from cheaper to expensive

Gigabyte P450B
Thermaltake Smart 500W white
Corsair VS 500w
beQuiet 500w u9 bronze
EVGA 500W2

Yes i know they are terrible, but which one is the best of the worst?

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021
Have you tried using the 4pin PSU? I am trying to boot a same-ish setup and it won't even boot BIOS despite sufficient wattage, I wonder if it's because of mismatch in number of pins. I'd really appreciate if you replied.