Question 4 pin push button to turn on pc

Nov 26, 2022
Hi
i bought this bundle:
https://it.aliexpress.com/item/4001333462465.html

H0435aec175c24b3d9c05dac0c230010bA.jpg

as it shows in the pic, it has 2 normally open pins and a positive and a negative pin.
the bundle also comes with the cables to connect the button to the motherboard, "POWER SW", "POWER LED+" and "POWER LED-"
i don't understand a lot about electricity and stuff like this, all i know is a cable can move electricity and a switch allows and stops it from flowing.
i have connected "POWER LED+" to + and "POWER LED-" to - and then the two "POWER SW" cables to NOs as i understood there's no polarity.
what happens the moment i turn on the psu is that the pc starts turning on and off continusly until i shut it off so it doesn't burn.
this is a self reset button, so in my head what's supposed to happen is that i push the button and the pc starts, nothing different from the normal case button i just want to be able to turn on the pc without climbing to the case button(my pc is above my desk)
is this the wrong kind of button, or am i just wiring it the wrong way?
if so can you help me wiring it the right way? thanks

Ralston18

Titan
Make and model case?

Make and model motherboard?

Make and model PSU?

This:

"am i just wiring it the wrong way? " - More information needed.

Sketch out a diagram showing exactly how you made the connections between the case/case switch(power and/or reset) and the " Yamin extension switch".

Show all connections, pin outs, voltages, wire colors, etc..

Scan in or photograph the diagram. Post here using imgur (www.imgur.com).

Nov 26, 2022
Make and model case?

Make and model motherboard?

Make and model PSU?

This:

"am i just wiring it the wrong way? " - More information needed.

Sketch out a diagram showing exactly how you made the connections between the case/case switch(power and/or reset) and the " Yamin extension switch".

Show all connections, pin outs, voltages, wire colors, etc..

Scan in or photograph the diagram. Post here using imgur (www.imgur.com).

case: nzxt elite 340;
motherboard: asus b550 f gaming;
psu: sharkoon silentstorm cool zero 650w gold+;
View: https://imgur.com/0n6T78C

this is the connection, the bars inside the circle are the pins of the button like in this image
View: https://imgur.com/xn0a8vj

and its all wired directly to the motherboard

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2022
For PC power button you need a momentary switch button.
Not sure, if this is the correct one.
yeah my thinking was its not the right switch too, but i don't understand much of electrical stuff
is this not a momentary switch? it resets in position after pushing.
they sell it like if it is made for turning on pc, but its aliexpress so didn't put much trust into the thing

yeah my thinking was its not the right switch too, but i don't understand much of electrical stuff
is this not a momentary switch? it resets in position after pushing.
they sell it like if it is made for turning on pc, but its aliexpress so didn't put much trust into the thing
For a Start button/switch it needs a momentary normally open contact switch. On a switch you showed other 2 contacts are for built in light, for a PC it has to be 3.3vDC. and be connected to Power_LED spot on the MB's front connectors.

Nov 26, 2022
For a Start button/switch it needs a momentary normally open contact switch. On a switch you showed other 2 contacts are for built in light, for a PC it has to be 3.3vDC. and be connected to Power_LED spot on the MB's front connectors.

i don't know if this is a momentary switch since i don't know what a momentary switch actually is.
yep i assumed they were for the leds, on thebutton there's written 3.6v is this too much?
i connected the + pin to "power led +" and the - pin to "power led -" to the motherboard corresponding pins
as shown in this diagram

i don't know if this is a momentary switch since i don't know what a momentary switch actually is.
yep i assumed they were for the leds, on thebutton there's written 3.6v is this too much?
i connected the + pin to "power led +" and the - pin to "power led -" to the motherboard corresponding pins
as shown in this diagram
The name says it all, "Momentary" as it makes contact (normally open) or breaks contact (normally closed) when and as long as it was depressed and changes state when released. An obvious example for normally open momentary switch would be an old time door bell, buzzing as long as you keep finger on it.

Nov 26, 2022
ok got it thanks, it self resets but don't think this proves it is momentary, so i guess i just need the multimeter to test if its momentary, but the fact that when i connected it to the pc it kept starting and stopping either means it is momentary normally closed or not momentary and it was set to closed right?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I suspect you will find with a test meter that the two contacts marked "NO"are for a common switch that STAYS either closed or open until you push it again. It is NOT a momentary-closed switch. So when you push it once the switch contacts close but then STAY closed as if you were holding in a normal Computer On / Off button constantly.

Nov 26, 2022
if i connect the power sw alone, the thing works as its supposed to, nothing happens until i push the button then i push it and the pc starts as supposed to. if i connect leds, the thing starts not making sense anymore :D
i don't know, maybe its just broken or poorly made

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
From your description it appears the LED is connected to the switch NO terminals. I guess you need a different unit with NO internal connection between the switch (MUST be a momentary-on switch) and the indicator light inside it. OR, forget trying to use the indicator light and use the normal one built into your case front panel.