[SOLVED] 4 Pin PWM rgb light strip??

Jan 28, 2019
I've built an editing rig for my Girlfriend for her bday. She picked out a kolink observatory case and it came with a little brain for the RBG fans. On the brian there are also 2 inputs for RBG light strips on the top. I did a bit of research and they seem to look like 4 pin PWM sockets? Am I right? Looked all over and asked co link can't seem to find a tag or code for the brain or what sort of rgb light would work with this box. Any knowledge on the subject would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Chris.
folderview

Solution
There are two major types of RGB lighting devices in wide use on computer cases. The simpler are called just plain RGB lights. That system uses four pins for connections - one common +12 VDC supply, and a separate Ground line for each of the three colours (Red, Green, Blue) of LED's in the device. The more advanced system is called Addressable RGB or ADDR RGB or ARGB lighting. It uses three pins for connections - +5 VDC, Ground, and a Control Line. Along a light strip the LED's are grouped into Nodes, each consisting of one LED each of R, G, B and one controller chip that listens to the Control Line and activates according to that only its own group of 3 LED's. This system can do more complex lighting patterns. The RGB system in that...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
There are two major types of RGB lighting devices in wide use on computer cases. The simpler are called just plain RGB lights. That system uses four pins for connections - one common +12 VDC supply, and a separate Ground line for each of the three colours (Red, Green, Blue) of LED's in the device. The more advanced system is called Addressable RGB or ADDR RGB or ARGB lighting. It uses three pins for connections - +5 VDC, Ground, and a Control Line. Along a light strip the LED's are grouped into Nodes, each consisting of one LED each of R, G, B and one controller chip that listens to the Control Line and activates according to that only its own group of 3 LED's. This system can do more complex lighting patterns. The RGB system in that case is the more advance ADDR RGB type. So if you buy additional lighting devices of whatever type, ensure they also are that ADDR RGB type. The two types are not compatible and cannot be mixed.

If you look closely at the fans, I expect you will find that each has TWO cables from it. One ends in a fan female connector about 3/8" wide (10 mm) with four holes (maybe three) and it's power and control of the fan motor. The other ends in a different connector, also female and probably with only 3 holes, and it's for the RGB lighting units in the fan. You will need to read the case instruction manual carefully to find out how to connect the fan motors to the right source (maybe mobo fan headers) and the RGB cables to a different power / control point.

Solution
Jan 28, 2019

Would you be able to send across a link to a rbg light strip that would work along side the fans? Cheers!

Jan 28, 2019

The motherboard is a biostar ta970 plus if that helps not a clue what the rgb/fan controller box make is, as the Kolink Case didn't come with any instructions at all and it's near impossible to find any online. It's the Kolink Observatory if anyone can find anything it'd be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
First, thanks for Best Solution.

I've checked the mobo manual and can offer a few items of advice regarding fans etc.

1. The CPU_FAN header is designed for use with 4-pin PWM fans, and can not control the speed of a 3-pin fan. I expect that will be no problem for you because most CPU cooler systems now come with 4-pin fans.

2. The mobo has two SYS_FAN headers. Both are 3-pin designs, so they can power and control either 3-pin or 4-pin fans. As a general rule, 3-pin fans are slightly less expensive for similar fan quality, so IF you are buying case cooling fans feel free to use that type. All mobo fan headers are subject to a maximum of 1.0 A current supplied to any fan(s) connected to that header. This limit applies to each header separately. Most fans used in computers now consume 0.1 to 0.25 A max for the motor portion, so it is quite all right to connect more than one of them to a single header using a SPLITTER. If you can't find specs for your fans to check on this, look closely at its label. Normally it specifies either the max current or at least the max Watts (and Current = Watts / Voltage) so you can figure this out. You may not plan to buy more fans, but I think the case has three included, so you'll need at least one Splitter similar to these

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812423168&Description=coboc%20fan%20splitter&cm_re=coboc_fan_splitter-_-12-423-168-_-Product

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812423163&Description=coboc%20fan%20splitter&cm_re=coboc_fan_splitter-_-12-423-163-_-Product

The first is a simple 2-output 3-pin design; the second has 3 outputs and a 4-pin design. Both will work perfectly for both 3- and 4-pin fans.
Note two things about these. A SPLITTER has only two types of arms. One arm ends in a female (with holes) fan connector to plug into the mobo male header. Then it has 2 or 3 output arms, each ending in a male (with pins) connector to plug in a fan. Of those, only one will have all its pins usually - the others will often be missing Pin #3 because the mobo fan header cannot deal with more than one fan's speed signal coming back to it. Thus the speed of only ONE of the fans on the Splitter will be displayed for you, and others' will be ignored. This has NO impact on fan speed control. But the important point here is that a Splitter does NOT have any other types of arms. A HUB is a different device that often is sold under the wrong name, and it has a third arm ending in a larger connector that must plug into a power output connector from the PSU. However, a Hub can only work with 4-pin fans connected to a mobo 4-pin header using the new PWM Mode for control, and your mobo does not have any SYS_FAN headers of that type. So do not buy a Hub.

3. Now on to RGB connections. As I said, each fan included with the case likely has two cables from it, one of which is a 3-pin connector for the RGB lighting components. These will go to the RGB Hub you spoke of. It's too bad you can't find any info on it. I also could find no instructions for that case. So I'll offer some general points. You indicate that, in addition to the output ports for the RGB cables from the fans, it has two ports marked for RGB light strips. If you buy some, look for ones called ADDRESSABLE RGB lighting strips, with a 3-pin connection system and using 5 VDC (not 12 VDC) power. Unfortunately, although there have been some common electrical specifications adopted, there are several different connector designs used by some makers. So examine the ports of your RGB Hub and the connectors on the cables from the fans (which match, I expect) and compare those to what is on any lighting strips you consider. Check also whether those strips come with adapters to use with other connector types. Worst case is you might need to do some custom re-wiring if you find an RGB strip you really like but with the wrong connectors on them.

4. I think that the description of that Kolink case says the Hub may do both RGB lighting and fan motor control, but I'm not sure about that. You do not need to use the fan motor control ability - instead, usually you are better to use the mobo SYS_FAN headers for the case fans, using a Splitter to make connections for 3 fans to 2 headers. I believe also it says the Hub device comes with some kind if remote control, which likely would be a small battery-powered box using radio signals to communicate instructions to the Hub. If you have that, use it to adjust the RGB lighting effects.

TRENDING THREADS